The Relation of Repeats to Position Effect in Drosophila Melanogaster
In Drosophila melanogaster it has been established that the action of at least some genes is affected by their position in the chromosomes. Critical evidence for this phenomenon of position effect has been given by Sturtevant (1925), Dubinin and Sidorow (1935), and Panshin (1935). Position effects have been detected only in cases in which the relative position of a gene with respect to its neighbors has been altered by a chromosomal rearrangement. It is conceivable that the effective position of a gene may also be changed as a result of a substitution in an adjacent gene of one allele by another. Such a possibility was put to experimental test by Sturtevant (1928) for the dominant mutants, Delta (Dl) and Hairless (H), three units apart in the third chromosome; however, no difference could be demonstrated between Dl H/++ and Dl+/+H.
KeywordsLand Chromosome Osition Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bridges C. B., 1935. Salivary chromosome maps. J. Hered. 26: 60–64.Google Scholar
- Bridges C. B., and K. S. Brehme, 1944. The mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Carnegie Instn.Washington, Publ. 552, 257 pp.Google Scholar
- Bridges C. B., and J. C. Li, 1936. Investigations on the constitution of the germinal material in relation to heredity. Yearb. Carnegie Instn. 35: 292.Google Scholar
- Bridges C. B., and T. H. Morgan, 1919. Contributions to the genetics of Drosophila melanogaster. Carnegie Instn. Washington Publ. 278: 123–304.Google Scholar
- Bridges P. N., 1942. A new map of the salivary gland chromosome. J. Hered. 33: 403–408.Google Scholar
- Demerec M., 1928. Mutable characters of Drosophila virilis. I. Reddish-alpha body character Genetics 13: 359–388.Google Scholar
- Dubinin N. P., and B.N. Sidorov, 1935. The position effect of the hairy gene. Biol. Zh. (Mosc.) 4: 555–568.Google Scholar
- Griffen A. B., 1941. The B s translocation in Drosophila melanogaster and modifications of the Bar effect through irradiation. (Abstract.) Genetics 26: 154.Google Scholar
- Metz C.W., 1938 Observations on evolutionary changes in the chromosomes of Sciara (Diptera). Carnegie Instn. Washington Publ. 501: 275–Google Scholar
- Muller H. J., A. A. Prokofyeva-Belgovskaya, and K. V. Kossikov, 1936. Unequal crossing-over in the Bar mutant as a result of duplication of a minute chromosome section. C. R. Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R. 1: 87–88.Google Scholar
- Panshin I. B., 1935. New evidence for the position effect hypothesis. C. R. Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R. 4: 70–71.Google Scholar