Crisis Amidst Growth
Crisis 1997 was the last of the three financial shocks of the 1990s. Three characteristics contributed to the shock value of this episode: its abrupt onset, its virulence against apparently healthy economies, and its widespread reach. It is useful to identify these characteristics both in order to diagnose the problem and to prescribe a remedy. One needs a thorough understanding of the menace in order to prevent its recurrence; no stone must be left unturned. Our attention here focuses on the three aspects mentioned above.
KeywordsDepression Income Malaysia Volatility Defend
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Chang (1998: 227).Google Scholar
- 7.See for example, Allen and Gale (2000).Google Scholar
- 8.See Coe, Helpman and Hoffmaister (1997).Google Scholar
- 9.See Lucas (1993).Google Scholar
- 10.Compare Stiglitz (2002). By extension,’ shock therapy’ is of dubious merit for the transition economies. See Wan (1992).Google Scholar
- 11.See Mahathir (1999).Google Scholar
- 12.SeeLauridsen(1998).Google Scholar