Antibodies, a Potent Tool to Target Genes into Designated Cells and Tissues
After a period of euphoria following the report on the first ex vivo production of monoclonal antibodies (Köhler, 1975), the new “magic bullets” as they were qualified by the press, however did not keep theirs promise. Indeed, apart OKT3 a mouse mAb directed against the T lymphocyte CD3 molecule, the first to get US and European approvals in the prevention of organ rejection in 1986, several trials conducted with other mAbs did not show significant results. These poor effects were mainly due to generation of anti-murine Abs by the patients, hindering the efficacy of the treatment. Moreover, rodent IgG Abs injected to patients have half-life of less than 20 hrs compared to several days for human Igs.
KeywordsGene Therapy Enhance Green Fluorescent Protein Exogenous Growth Factor Enhance Green Fluorescent Protein Gene High Transduction Efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Angevin, E., L. Glukhova, C. Pavon, A. Chassevent, M. J. Terrier-Lacombe, A. F. Goguel, J. Bougaran, P. Ardouin, B. H. Court, J. L. Perrin, G. Vallancien, F. Triebel, and B. Escudier. 1999. Human renal cell carcinoma xenografts in SCID mice: tumorigenicity correlates with a poor clinical prognosis. Lab Invest 79:879.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dürrbach, A., E. Angevin, P. Poncet, M. Rouleau, G. Chavanel, A. Chapel, D. Thierry, A. Goiter, R. Hirsch, B. Charpentier, A. Senik, and F. Hirsch. 1999. The antibody-mediated endocytosis of G250 tumor-associated antigen allows targeted gene transfer to human renal-cell carcinoma in vitro. Cancer Gene Ther 6:564.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hirsch, F., P. Poncet, S. Freeman, R. E. Gress, D. H. Sachs, P. Druet, and R. Hirsch. 1993. Antifection: a new method for targeted gene transfection. Transpl Proc 25:138.Google Scholar
- Schwarzenberger, P., S. E. Spence, J. M. Gooya, D. Michiel, D. T. Curiel, F. W. Ruscetti, and J. R. Keller. 1996. Targeted gene transfer to human hematopoietic progenitor cell lines through the c-kit receptor. Blood 67:472.Google Scholar
- Tsuruta, Y., M. Mandai, I. Konishi, H. Kuroda, T. Kusakari, Y. Yura, A. A. Hamid, I. Tamura, M. Kariya, and S. Fujii. 2001. Combination effect of adenovirus-mediated pro-apoptotic bax gene transfer with cisplatin or paclitaxel treatment in ovarian cancer cell lines. Eur J Cancer 37:531.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar