Modelling of Particulate Air Pollution In Northern Italy
The northern part of the Po basin is one of the densely populated and strongly industrialized areas in Europe. The PIPAPO experiment (Pianura Padana Produzione di Ozono) was designed to investigate the photooxidant production in the Milan metropolitan region of Italy in summer 1998, within the frame of the EUROTRAC-2 project LOOP. Photooxidant production and limitation of ozone formation during two intensive observation periods (IOP1: May 11–14, IOP2: June 1–10) were studied using numerous measurements and models (Dommen et al., 2002; Neftel et al., 2002; Ritter et al., 2002; Martilli et al., 2002). However, modelling studies were mainly focused on the gas-phase chemistry. In this work, the Eulerian photochemical model CAMx was applied for the first time including the aerosol chemistry. The main objective is to investigate the capability of the model to predict the formation and spatial and temporal distribution of secondary organic and inorganic aerosols.
KeywordsTotal Organic Carbon Black Carbon Secondary Organic Aerosol Total Ozone Column Black Carbon Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baltensperger U., 2001, The art of aerosol measurement and modelling with within AEROSOL, Eurotrac-2 Symposium 2000, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 39–44.Google Scholar
- Baltensperger U., Streit N., Weingartner E., Nyeki S., Prévôt A.S.H., Van Dingenen R., Virkkula A., Putaud J.-P., Even A., ten Brink H., Blatter A., Neftel A., Gäggeler H.W., 2002. Urban and rural aerosol characterization of summer smog events during the PIPAPO field campaign in Milan, Italy, J. Geophys. Res., 107:8193, doi:10.1029/2001JD001292CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Environ, 2002, User’s Guide, Comprehensive Air Quality Model with Extensions (CAMx), Version 3.10, Environ International Corporation, California.Google Scholar
- Neftel A., Spirig C., Prévôt A.S.H., Furger M., Stutz J., Vogel B., Hjorth J., 2002, Sensitivity of photooxidant production in the Milan Basin: An overview of results from a EUROTRAC-2 Limitation of Oxidant Production field experiment, J. Geophys. Res., 107: 8188 doi:10.1029/2001JD001263CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ritter N., Prévôt A.S.H., Dommen J., Andreani-Aksoyoglu S., Keller J., 2002, Model study with UAM-V in the Milan area (I) during PIPAPO: Simulations with changed emissions compared to ground and airborne measurements. Submitted to Atmos. Environ. Google Scholar