Evaluation of Ultrasonic Sensor Signals Using Fuzzy Logic
Novel ultrasonic sensor systems are introduced which demonstrate the use and strength of fuzzy logic for evaluating ultrasonic signals. As one application the recognition of objects and situations by ultrasonic means will be discussed. To inspect printed circuit boards the correlation function of the actual signal from a board under test and the reference signal is evaluated using fuzzy logic. The sensor system does not only recognize assembly defects with high resolution and high reliability, but also classifies the kind of defects. Another application of fuzzy logic for ultrasonic sensor systems is the level measurement of liquids or bulk materials. Employing fuzzy logic, rather than Boolean, for discriminating the echo of the material surface, a high performance of the sensor in critical environment conditions has been achieved. Besides the basic principles of processing ultrasonic signals with fuzzy methods the paper presents implementations of the fuzzy algorithms on a fuzzy coprocessor (SAB 81C99A) or a digital signal processor.
KeywordsAttenuation Expense Lution Reso Acoustics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mágori, V., “Ultrasonic Sensors in Air,” in IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, Cannes, France, 1–4 Nov. 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.Kroemer, N., Vossiek, M., Eccardt, P.-C, Mágori, V., “Ultraschall-Distanzsensor mit Fuzzy-Auswertung,” in Sensor 93, 6. Internationale Fachmesse mit Kongress für Sensorik & Systemtechnik, Nürnberg, Germany, Vol. II, pp. 113–122, 11.–14. Oct. 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.Burkard, R., “Fuzzy-Logik-Elemente am Beispiel der Füllstandsmessung mit Ultraschall,” in Sensor 93, Nürnberg, Germany, Vol. II, pp. 123–129,11.–14. Oct. 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.Foulloy, L., Mauris, G., “An Ultrasonic fuzzy sensor,” in Advanced Sensor Technologie, Zürich, Switzerland, pp. 161–170, 2–4 Feb. 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Self, K.: “Designing with fuzzy logic,” IEEE Spectrum, Nov. 1990, S.42-44 and 105.Google Scholar
- 8.Tong, R.M., “Fuzzy Control Systems: A Retrospective,” in Proc. of the American Control Conference, San Francisco, CA, USA, Vol. 3, pp. 1224–1229, June 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Eichfeld, H.P., Künemund, T.N., Klimke, M.G., “An 8bit Fuzzy Coprocessor for Fuzzy Control,” in IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, San Francisco, USA, pp. 180,181,286, Feb. 1993.Google Scholar