- 58 Downloads
Logistical Networking is the global scheduling and optimization of data movement, storage and computation based on a model that takes into account all the network’s underlying physical resources. In this paper we contrast Logistical and Active Network as approaches to flexible implementation of advanced network protocols. We describe the Internet Backplane Protocol, a simple mechanism we have devised for experimentation with Logistical Networking, and describe some applications which can take particular advantage of way that Logistical Networking exposes resources directly as network services.
Key wordslogistical networking active networking storage caching electronic mail
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Plank, J., et al. The Internet Backplane Protocol: Storage in the Network, in NetStore99: The Network Storage Symposium. 1999. Seattle, WA.Google Scholar
- 3.Elwasif, W.R., J.S. Plank, and M. Beck, IBP - Internet Backplane Protocol: Infrastructure for distributed storage (V 0.2). Technical Report CS-99-430, University of Tennessee. February, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.Wolski, R., N. Spring, and J. Hayes, The Network Weather Service: A Distributed Resource Performance Forecasting Service for Metacomputing. Future Generation Computer Systems (to appear), 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Kantor, B. and P. Lapsley, A proposed standard for the stream-based transmission of news. RFC 977, IETF. February, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Legedza, U., D. Wetherall, and J. Guttag, Improving the Performance of Distributed Applications using Active Networks. IEEE INFOCOM, 1998(April).Google Scholar
- 9.Wetherall, D.J., J. Guttag, and D.L. Tennenhouse, ANTS: A Toolkit for Building and Dynamically Deploying Network Protocols. IEEE OPENARCH, 1998(April).Google Scholar
- 10.Merugu, S., et al. Bowman and CANEs: Implementation of an Active Network, in 37th Annual Allerton Conference. 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.Hicks, M., et al., PLANet: An Active Internetwork. IEEE INFOCOM, 1999(March).Google Scholar
- 12.Peterson, L., AN Node OS Working Group. NodeOS Interface Specification. 2000.Google Scholar