Indigenous Enzymes in Milk
Included among the minor proteins in milk are indigenous enzymes, about 60 of which have been reported in bovine milk. About 20 of these have been isolated and characterized in considerable detail; most of these have some technological significance. The remaining 40 enzymes, which are of little or no significance, at least at present, have been demonstrated via their activity but have not been isolated. The first demonstration of an indigenous enzyme in milk was that of a peroxidase by G. Arnold in 1881 (see Andrews et al., 1992). Since then, a very considerable literature has accumulated and has been reviewed periodically (Whitney, 1958; Wuthrich et al., 1963; Shahani, 1966; Got, 1971; Groves, 1971; Dwivedi, 1973; Shahani et al., 1973; Fox and Morrissey, 1981; Blanc, 1983; Kitchen, 1985; Andrews et al., 1991, 1992; Swaisgood, 1995; Fox, 2002).
KeywordsXanthine Oxidase Human Milk Lipoprotein Lipase Bovine Milk Somatic Cell Count
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews, A.T., Olivecrona, T., Bengtsson-Olivecrona, G., Fox, P.F., Bjorck, L. and Farkye, N.Y. (1991) Indigenous enzymes in milk, in Food Enzymology, Vol. 1, (P.F. Fox ed.) Elsevier Applied Science, London, pp. 53–129.Google Scholar
- Andrews, A.T., Olivecrona, T., Vilaro, S., Bengtsson-Olivecrona, G., Fox, P.F., Bjorck, L. and Farkye, N.Y. (1992) Indigenous enzymes in milk, in Advanced Dairy Chemistry- 1, Proteins, 2nd edn, (P.F. Fox ed.) Elsevier Applied Science, London, pp. 285–367.Google Scholar
- Dwivedi, B.K. (1973) The role of enzymes in food flavors: Part 1, Dairy products. CRC Crit. Rev. Food Technol., 49, 457–78.Google Scholar
- Fox, P.F. (2002) Significance of indigenous enzymes in milk and milk products, in Handbook of Food Enzymology, (J.R. Whitaker, A.G.J. Voragen and D. Wong eds.) Marcel Dekker, New York (in press).Google Scholar
- Got, R. (1971) Les enzymes du lait. Ann. Nutr. Alim., 25, A291–A311.Google Scholar
- Groves, M.L. (1971) Minor proteins and enzymes, in Milk Protein: Chemistry and Molecular Biology, Vol. II, (H.A. McKenzie ed.) Academic Press, New York, pp. 367–418.Google Scholar
- Hamosh, M., Freed, L.M., Jones, J.B., Berkow, S.E., Bitman, J., Mehta, N.R., Happ, B. and Hamosh, P. (1985) Enzymes in human milk, in Human Lactation: Milk Components and Methodologies, (R.G. Jensen and M.C. Neville eds.) Plenum Press, New York, pp. 251–66.Google Scholar
- Harnell, O. and Lonnerdal, B. (1989) Enzymes in human milk, in Protein and Non-protein Nitrogen in Human Milk, (S.A. Atkinson and B. Lonnerdal eds.) CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 67–75.Google Scholar
- Shahani, K.M., Kwan, A.J. and Friend, B.A. (1980) Role and significance of enzymes in human milk. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 33, 1861–68.Google Scholar