The darn repair of groin hernias is a pure tissue repair and is one of the classic open herniorrhaphies. It is simple, generally applicable to primary and recurrent hernia repairs, and has a remarkably low recurrence rate. The technique has been very popular in the English-speaking world but is less commonly used in Europe and parts of North America. In a 1991 survey of 240 consultant surgeons in England, the darn repair was the most popular technique; 35% of surgeons used it as their sole method of repair. The Shouldice operation alone or combined with other techniques was used by only 20%. In the United States, Mansberger et al. reported their series of darn repairs in 1992.
KeywordsIschemia Europe Nylon Polypropylene Chlorhexidine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Morris GE, Jarrett PEM. Recurrence rates following local anaesthetic day case inguinal hernia repair by junior surgeons in a district general hospital. Ann R Coll Surg Eng. 1987; 69:97–99.Google Scholar
- 6.Ellis H. Inguinal hernia. Br J Hosp Med. 1970; 4:9–23.Google Scholar
- 7.Abrahamson J, Eldar S. The nylon darn repair for primary and recurrent inguinal hernias. Contemp Surg. 1988; 32:33–45.Google Scholar
- 9.Morgan M, Swan AV, Reynolds A, et al. Are current techniques of inguinal hernia repair optimal? A survey in the United Kingdom. Ann R Coll Surg Eng. 1991; 73:341–345.Google Scholar
- 11.Kirschner M. Die praktischen Ergebnissse der freien Fascien-Transplantation. Arch Klin Chir. 1910; 92:888–912.Google Scholar
- 12.Handley WS. A method for the radical cure of inguinal hernia (darn and stay-lace method). Practitioner. 1918;100:466–471.Google Scholar
- 15.Ogilvie WH. Hernia. In Maingot R (ed): Postgraduate surgery, vol 3. East Norwalk, CT: Appleton-Century-Crofts; 1937:367–380.Google Scholar
- 18.Maingot R. The floss-silk lattice repair for inguinal hernias. Br J Clin Pract. 1979; 3:97–110.Google Scholar
- 19.Nichols HM, Diack AW. Animal experiments with nylon sutures. West J Surg Obstet Gynecol. 1940; 48:42–45.Google Scholar
- 20.Aries LJ. Experimental studies with synthetic fiber (nylon) as a buried suture. Surgery. 1941; 9:51–53.Google Scholar
- 24.Abrahamson J. Hernias. In Zinner MJ (ed): Maingot’s abdominal operations, 10th ed. Stamford; CT: Appleton & Lange; 1997:479–580.Google Scholar