The darn repair of groin hernias is a pure tissue repair and is one of the classic open herniorrhaphies. It is simple, generally applicable to primary and recurrent hernia repairs, and has a remarkably low recurrence rate. The technique has been very popular in the English-speaking world but is less commonly used in Europe and parts of North America. In a 1991 survey of 240 consultant surgeons in England, the darn repair was the most popular technique; 35% of surgeons used it as their sole method of repair. The Shouldice operation alone or combined with other techniques was used by only 20%. In the United States, Mansberger et al. reported their series of darn repairs in 1992.
KeywordsHernia Repair Inguinal Hernia Internal Ring Rectus Sheath Groin Hernia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Morris GE, Jarrett PEM. Recurrence rates following local anaesthetic day case inguinal hernia repair by junior surgeons in a district general hospital. Ann R Coll Surg Eng. 1987; 69:97–99.Google Scholar
- 6.Ellis H. Inguinal hernia. Br J Hosp Med. 1970; 4:9–23.Google Scholar
- 7.Abrahamson J, Eldar S. The nylon darn repair for primary and recurrent inguinal hernias. Contemp Surg. 1988; 32:33–45.Google Scholar
- 9.Morgan M, Swan AV, Reynolds A, et al. Are current techniques of inguinal hernia repair optimal? A survey in the United Kingdom. Ann R Coll Surg Eng. 1991; 73:341–345.Google Scholar
- 11.Kirschner M. Die praktischen Ergebnissse der freien Fascien-Transplantation. Arch Klin Chir. 1910; 92:888–912.Google Scholar
- 12.Handley WS. A method for the radical cure of inguinal hernia (darn and stay-lace method). Practitioner. 1918;100:466–471.Google Scholar
- 15.Ogilvie WH. Hernia. In Maingot R (ed): Postgraduate surgery, vol 3. East Norwalk, CT: Appleton-Century-Crofts; 1937:367–380.Google Scholar
- 18.Maingot R. The floss-silk lattice repair for inguinal hernias. Br J Clin Pract. 1979; 3:97–110.Google Scholar
- 19.Nichols HM, Diack AW. Animal experiments with nylon sutures. West J Surg Obstet Gynecol. 1940; 48:42–45.Google Scholar
- 20.Aries LJ. Experimental studies with synthetic fiber (nylon) as a buried suture. Surgery. 1941; 9:51–53.Google Scholar
- 24.Abrahamson J. Hernias. In Zinner MJ (ed): Maingot’s abdominal operations, 10th ed. Stamford; CT: Appleton & Lange; 1997:479–580.Google Scholar