4 Technical Issues in Medical Writing
Some of the “striving and agony and delay” described by Fishbein can be related to the technical aspects of medical writing, including the preparation of tables and figures (aka illustrations), perseverating over borrowed materials and copyright issues, and corralling herds of reference citations. In contrast to the past three chapters, which have covered the concept and prose aspects of medical writing, this chapter addresses some nuts-and-bolts issues you will face. Do not, however, think that constructing tables and figures is any less creative than composing words and sentences; in fact, developing these supplements to the text may be the most innovative part of writing your article. Other practical issues—such as copyright, permissions, and reference citations—may become important as you seek publication of your work.
KeywordsLine Drawing Minimum Resolution Sixth Cranial Nerve Paralysis Reference Citation Medical Writing
- 1.Fishbein M. Introduction. In: Medical writing, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Blakiston: 1955.Google Scholar
- 2.Journal of the American Medical Association. Instructions for authors. Available at: http://manuscripts.jama.com/cgi-bin/main.plex?form_type = display_auth_instructions.
- 3.Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Manuscript Preparation and Submission: Preparing a Manuscript for Submission to a Biomedical Journal. Available at: http://www.icmje.org/manuscript_1prepare.html.
- 4.Journal of Neurology. Instructions to authors. Available at: http://www.springer.com/medicine/neurology/journal/415.
- 5.New England Journal of Medicine. Author Center: new manuscripts. Available at: http://www.nejm.org/page/author-center/manuscript-submission.
- 6.Internet4Classrooms: Excel-create a chart/graph. Available at: http://www.internet4classrooms.com/excel_create_chart.htm.
- 7.U.S. Copyright Office. Copyright basics (Circular 1). Available at: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf.
- 8.National Library of Medicine: Images from the history of medicine. Available at: http://ihm.nlm.nih.gov/luna/servlet/detail/NLMNLM ∼ 1∼1 ∼ 101418680 ∼ 179933:Hippocrates-Hiraclidae-F--Covs-P-P-?qvq = q:Hippocrates;lc:NLMNLM ∼ 1 ∼ 1&mi = 24&trs = 114.
- 9.KeytLaw: Fair use: Available at: http://www.keytlaw.com/Copyrights/fairuse.htm.
- 10.Taylor RB. Family medicine: principles and practice. 6th ed. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2003.Google Scholar