On failure and dynamic performance of materials
The performance of armour materials depends upon deformation mechanisms operating during the penetration traditional ballistics. It has recently become possible to measure strength histories in materials under shock. The data gained for the failed strength of the armour are shown to relate directly to the penetration measured. Further it has been demonstrated in 1D strain that the material can be loaded and recovered for post-mortem examination. Failure is by micro-fracture that is a function of the defects and then cracking activated by plasticity mechanisms within the grains and failure at grain boundaries in the amorphous intergranular phase. Thus it appears that the shock-induced plastic yielding of grains at the impact face that determines the later time penetration through the tile.
KeywordsShock Compression Longitudinal Stress Lateral Stress Plate Impact Armour Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Y. M. Gupta: in 'Shock Compression of Condensed Matter - 1999', (eds. M. D. Furnish, et al.), 3-10; 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Z. Rosenberg: in 'Shock and Impact on Structures', (eds. C. A. Brebbia, et al.), 73-105; 1994Google Scholar
- 4.Southampton, Computational Mechanics Publications.Google Scholar
- 8.V. P. Alekseevskii: Fizika Goreniya Vzryra, 1966, 2, 99.Google Scholar
- 10.Z. Rosenberg, Y. Partom, and D. Yaziv, J. Appl. Phys., 1981, 52, 755-758.Google Scholar
- 11.Z. Rosenberg: in 'Shock Compression of Condensed Matter - 1999', (eds. M. D. Furnish, et al.), 1033-1037; 2000, Melville, New York, American Institute of Physics.Google Scholar
- 12.J. C. F. Millett, N. K. Bourne, and Z. Rosenberg, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 1996, 29, 2466-2472.Google Scholar
- 17.Z. Rosenberg, E. Dekel, V. Hohler, A. J. Stilp, and K. Weber: in 'Shock Compression of Condensed Matter 1997', 917-920; 1998, Woodbury, New York, American Institute of Physics.Google Scholar
- 19.N. K. Bourne, G. T. Gray III, and J. C. F. Millett: J. Mat. Sci., 2009, in press.Google Scholar
- 21.N. K. Bourne and Z. Rosenberg: in 'Shock Compression of Condensed Matter 1995', (eds. S. C. Schmidt, et al.), 567-572; 1996, Woodbury, New York, American Institute of Physics.Google Scholar