With the steady increase in outsourcing of semiconductor integrated circuits (ICs) manufacturing, the concerns for malicious inclusions are increasing within the military and the commercial sectors. Recently, Trojans in ICs used by military equipment have been reported . Trojans can change the functionality of an IC and affect mission critical equipment. Trojans can also disable a system at will. These concerns caused the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to initiate the Trust in ICs program. This program focuses on developing Trojan detection methods [2, 3].
- 1.Adee S The hunt for the kill switch, IEEE Spectrum, http://www.darpa.mil/mto/solicitations/baa07-24/index.html
- 2.Defense Science Board, “Defense Science Board Task Force on High Performance Microchip Supply,” Feb. 2005. http://www.cra.org/govaffairs/images/2005-02-HPMS_Report_Final.pdf
- 5.Rad RM, Wang X, Tehranipoor M, Plusquellic J (2008) Power supply signal calibration techniques for improving detection resolution to hardware Trojans. In: IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design, pp632–639, 10–13 Nov 2008Google Scholar
- 6.Wolff F, Papachristou C, Bhunia S, Chakraborty RS (2008) Towards trojan-free trusted ICs: problem analysis and detection scheme. In: Design, Automation and Test in Europe, 2008. DATE ’08, pp 1362–1365, 10–14 March 2008Google Scholar
- 7.Wang X, Tehranipoor M, Plusquellic J (2008) Detecting malicious inclusions in secure hardware: challenges and solutions. IEEE International Hardware-Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), 2008Google Scholar
- 8.Lin L, Burleson W, Paar C (2009) MOLES: malicious off-chip leakage enabled by side-channels. In: IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design – Digest of Technical Papers, pp 117–122, 2–5 Nov 2009Google Scholar
- 9.Baumgarten A, Clausman M, Lindemann B, Steffen M, Trotter B, Zambreno J Embedded Systems Challenge. http://isis.poly.edu/~vikram/iowa_state.pdf
- 10.Tamoney A, Kouttron D, Radocea A RPI team: number crunchers. Embedded Systems Challenge. http://isis.poly.edu/~vikram/rpi.pdf
- 11.Stefan D, Mitchell C, Almenar C Trojan attacks for compromising cryptographic security in FPGA encryption systems. Embedded Systems Challenge. http://isis.poly.edu/~vikram/cooper.pdf.
- 12.Gulurshivaram K, Hailemichael R, Jimenez J, Raju A Implementation of hardware trojans. Embedded Systems Challenge. http://isis.poly.edu/~vikram/poly_team1.pdf