SEE-GRID eInfrastructure for Regional eScience
In the past 6 years, a number of targeted initiatives, funded by the European Commission via its information society and RTD programmes and Greek infrastructure development actions, have articulated a successful regional development actions in South East Europe that can be used as a role model for other international developments. The SEEREN (South-East European Research and Education Networking initiative) project, through its two phases, established the SEE segment of the pan-European G ´EANT network and successfully connected the research and scientific communities in the region. Currently, the SEE-LIGHT project is working towards establishing a dark-fiber backbone that will interconnect most national Research and Education networks in the region. On the distributed computing and storage provisioning i.e. Grid plane, the SEE-GRID (South-East European GRID e-Infrastructure Development) project, similarly through its two phases, has established a strong human network in the area of scientific computing and has set up a powerful regional Grid infrastructure, and attracted a number of applications from different fields from countries throughout the South-East Europe. The current SEEGRID-SCI project, ending in April 2010, empowers the regional user communities from fields of meteorology, seismology and environmental protection in common use and sharing of the regional e-Infrastructure. Current technical initiatives in formulation are focusing on a set of coordinated actions in the area of HPC and application fields making use of HPC initiatives. Finally, the current SEERA-EI project brings together policy makers – programme managers from 10 countries in the region. The project aims to establish a communication platform between programme managers, pave the way towards common e-Infrastructure strategy and vision, and implement concrete actions for common funding of electronic infrastructures on the regional level. The regional vision on establishing an e-Infrastructure compatible with European developments, and empowering the scientists in the region in equal participation in the use of pan- European infrastructures, is materializing through the above initiatives. This model has a number of concrete operational and organizational guidelines which can be adapted to help e-Infrastructure developments in other world regions. In this paper we review the most important developments and contributions by the SEEGRID- SCI project.
KeywordsUser Community Grid Resource Grid Environment Operational Tool Grid Infrastructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.SEE-GRID-SCI Project, http://www.see-grid-sci.eu/
- 2.SEE-GRID-SCI Grid Infrastructure, http://goc.grid.sinica.edu.tw/gstat/seegrid/
- 3.SEE-GRID-SCI Grid Operations Wiki, http://wiki.egee-see.org/index.php/SEE-GRID Wiki
- 4.SEE-GRID-SCI VO Applications,http://wiki.egee-see.org/index.php/SEE-GRID Wiki#SEE-GRID-SCI VO Applications
- 5.K. Lagouvardos, E. Floros, V. Kotroni: A Grid-enabled Regional-scale Ensemble Forecasting System in the Mediterranean. Int. J. of Grid Computing, doi: 10.1007/s1072301091503 (2010).
- 6.C. Ozturan, B. Bektas¸, M. Yilmazer, C. S¸ener, Challenges Faced in Building A Seismology VO for Southeastern Europe, e-Challenges Conference, Istanbul, Oct. 21-23 2009.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Syrakov, M. Prodanova, K. Ganev, N. Miloshev, E. Atanassov, T. Gurov, A. Karaivanova: Grid Computing for Multi-Scale Atmospheric Composition Modeling for the Balkan Region, Journal of International Scientific Publication: Ecology&Safety, Vol. 3, Part 1, 2009, pp. 4-21.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Atanassov, A. Karaivanova, T. Gurov, S. Ivanovska, M. Durchova, Using Sobol Sequence in Grid Environment, Proceeding of 32nd International Convention MIPRO/GVS 2009, pp. 290-294.Google Scholar
- 9.SEE-GRID-SCI JRA1 commonalities wiki,http://wiki.egee-see.org/index.php/JRA1 Commonalities
- 10.RESPECT program, http://technical.eu-egee.org/index.php?id=290
- 11.EUAsiaGrid lecture, http://www.euasiagrid.org/wiki/index.php/Data Management Java API
- 12.SEE-GRID-SCI Training Center, http://www.lpds.sztaki.hu/stc/