Analyzing the Applicability of Airline Booking Systems for Cloud Computing Offerings
This paper introduces revenue management systems for Cloud computing offerings on the Infrastructure as a Service level. One of the main fields revenue management systems are deployed in is the airline industry. At the moment, the predominant part of the Cloud providers use static pricing models. In this work, a mapping of Cloud resources to flights in different categories and classes is presented together with a possible strategy to make use of these models in the emerging area of Cloud computing. The latter part of this work then describes a first step towards an inter-cloud brokering and trading platform by deriving requirements for a potential architectural design.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Service Level Agreement Cloud Provider Cloud Service Provider Cloud Resource
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Armbrust, M. et al.: Above the Clouds: A Berkley View of Cloud computing, 2009Google Scholar
- 2.Amazon (Feb. 2010) Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2).http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ (and sub-pages)
- 3.Ivan, Paul and Ciblak, Abdil and Chavez, Abdil and Ngah, Elvis and de Nooij, Guido and Borgardijn, Majella (2005): Revenue Management DSS.http://www.math.vu.nl/ obpdss/revenue-management/revenue-management
- 4.Belobaba, P. P.: Air travel demand and airline seat inventory management, Ph.D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1987Google Scholar
- 5.Shy, Oz: How to Price, Cambridge University Press, 2008Google Scholar
- 6.Gohner, M. and R¨uckemann, C.-P.: Konzeption eines Grid-Accounting-Systems, 2006Google Scholar
- 7.Falkner, J¨urgen et al.: Konzeption eines D-Grid-Billing-Frameworks, 2007Google Scholar
- 8.Buyya, R. et al.: Market-Oriented Cloud Computing: Vision, Hype, and Reality for Delivering IT Services as Computing Utilities, High Performance Computing and Communications, HPCC ’08 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Caracas, A. and Altmann, J.: A Pricing Information Service for Grid Computing, 2007Google Scholar
- 10.Kallies, B.: Allocations, Accounts, Policies, HLRN, 2008http://www.hlrn.de/doc/accounting/
- 11.Bruegge, Bernd and Dutoit, Allen H.: Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java, Second Edition. Prentice Hall (2003)Google Scholar