Cultural heritage officials from 20 nations gathered earlier this year in Cairo, Egypt, to discuss how to recover ancient treasures which had been stolen in the past and placed on display in foreign museums and galleries (BBC 2010a). The meeting, convened by Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities (SAC) and chaired by its head, Zahi Hawass, included representatives from Greece, Italy, China and Peru – all countries which over centuries have lost countless antiquities to plunderers. Hawass urged delegates from all countries to work together to recover their lost treasures. “Every country is fighting alone, every country suffered alone, especially Egypt” he said. “We will battle together” (BBC 2010b).
KeywordsCultural Heritage Cultural Artefact Auction House Illicit Market Illicit Trade
- Alder, C., Chappell, D. and Polk, K. (2009). Perspectives on the organisation and control of the illicit traffic in antiquities in South East Asia. In Manacorda, S. (Ed.) Organised Crime in Art and Antiquities. Milano, Italy: ISPAC.Google Scholar
- Association of Art Museum Directors (AAMD) (2008). Report of the AAMD Task Force on the Acquisition of Archaeological Materials and Ancient Art (Revised 2008). New York: AAMD.Google Scholar
- Barksdale Maynard, W. (2010a). Art museum curator targeted by Italian prosecutors. Alumnus also reportedly named in probe of looted works of ancient art. Princeton Alumni Weekly. July 7, 2010. Vol. 110(16). http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2010/07/07/pages/8023/index.xml. Accessed August 4, 2010.
- Barksdale Maynard, W. (2010b). Italy’s antiquities and US museums: A Q&A with Edoardo Almagia ’73. Princeton Alumni Weekly. July 7, 2010. Vol. 110(16). http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2010/07/07/pages/8254/index.xml. Accessed August 4, 2010.
- BBC News (2010a). Egypt hosts antiquities meeting on recovery of ‘stolen treasures’. BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8606458.stm. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- BBC News (2010b). Egypt calls for antiquities unity. BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8608513.stm. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Braithwaite, J. (1993). Business Regulation and Australia’s Future. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology.Google Scholar
- Braithwaite, J. (2002). Restorative Justice and Responsive Regulation. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Carvajal, D. (2010). Seeking clues, Paris examines security after art theft. New York Times. June 2, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/world/europe/22iht-paris.html. Accessed May 21, 2010.
- Charney, N. (2009). Introduction. In Charney, N. (Ed.). Art and Crime. Exploring the Dark Side of the Art World (p. xvii). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Cuno, J. (2008). Who Owns Antiquity. Museums and the Battle over Our Ancient Heritage. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Davis, A. (2010). Italy repatriates EU15 million of antiquities from Switzerland. Bloomberg. July 16, 2010. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-16/italy-repatriates-eu15-million-of-looted-antiquities-found-in-switzerland.html. Accessed August 4, 2010.
- De Roquefeuil, C. (2010). Zahi Hawass, media savvy guardian of Egypt’s past. Agence France Presse. February 14, 2010. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g8YEXuhBvWwwzpjIAw9NwaKCGmHA. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Eakin, H. (2010). Italy focuses on a Princeton curator in an antiquities investigation. New York Times. June 2, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/arts/design/03curator.html?pagewanted=1. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Gill, D. (2008). AAMD and antiquities: A revised position. Looting Matters. June 5, 2008. http://lootingmatters.blogspot.com/2008/06/aamd-and-antiquities-revised-position.html. Accessed August 4, 2010.
- Gill, D. (2010). Egyptian sarcophagus returned. Looting Matters. March 13, 2010. http://lootingmatters.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html. Accessed August 4, 2010.
- Harris, J. (2010). Crackdown on culture crime: Italy’s proud Carabinieri art squad. Association for Research into Crimes against Art. January 19, 2010. http://art-crime.blogspot.com/2010/01/crackdown-on-culture-crime-italys-proud.html. Accessed August 4, 2010.
- Heritage Thieves (2010). 300 looted antiquities displayed in the Colosseum. July 17, 2010. http://heritagethieves.blogspot.com/2010/07/300-looted-antiquities-displayed-in.html. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Levin, D. (2010). Reactionaries? Make that ‘collectors’. New York Times. February 3, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/garden/04chinese.html. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Manacorda, S. (Ed.) (2009). Organised crime in art and antiquities. Milano, Italy: ISPAC.Google Scholar
- McDonald, M. (2009). Chinese bidder says he will not pay for looted bronzes. New York Times. March 2, 2009. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/arts/02iht-03auction.20522775.html. Accessed August 4, 2010.
- Polk, K. and Chappell, D. (2009). Fakes and deception: Examining fraud in the art market. In Charney, N. (Ed.). Art and Crime. Exploring the Dark Side of the Art World (p. xvii). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Povoledo, E. (2010). Rome trial of ex- Getty curator ends. New York Times. October 13, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/arts/design/14true.html?_r=1scp=11sq=povoledo+2008st=nyt. Accessed October 14, 2010.Google Scholar
- Scherer, S. (2009). Rome court upholds conviction of antiquities smuggler Medici. Bloomberg News. July 15, 2009. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchivesid=a4JP7NRy5BFM. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Spencer, R. (Ed.) (2004). The Expert Versus the Object. Judging Fakes and False Attributions in the Visual Arts. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Thompson, D. (2008). The $12 Million Stuffed Shark. The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Tierney, J. (2009). A case in antiquities for ‘finders keepers’. New York Times. November 17, 2009. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/science/17tier.html?_r=1ref=john_tierney. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) (2010). Protection against trafficking in cultural property. Report of the Secretary General. ECOSOC February 23, 2010. E/CN.15/2010/4.Google Scholar
- Watson, P and Todeschini, C. (2006). The Medici conspiracy. Prahran, Victoria: Hardie Grant Books.Google Scholar