Iliotibial Band Release
Greater trochanteric pain syndrome comprises a variety of disorders about the lateral hip region . Common complaints may include pain, weakness, numbness, and mechanical symptoms. The clinician’s role is to differentiate the source of the complaint between intra-articular and extra-articular sources. One’s history and physical examination will clarify the etiology in a significant number of cases. Additionally, radiology resources such as plain film, magnetic resonance imaging, bone scintigraphy, and ultrasound will define specific pathoanatomy such as calcific tendonitis, abductor muscle tears, and insidious fracture patterns. Despite modern imaging resources, a diagnostic challenge arises when one attempts to differentiate pain originating from the iliotibial band versus other sources.
The purpose of this chapter is to clarify the role of iliotibial band release in cases of symptomatic hip pain. More specifically, we will define the role of endoscopic iliotibial band release in the context of historical open surgical methods and modern hip pathomechanics. The goals for the reader are to appreciate the anatomy of the lateral hip, to understand the transition from normal iliotibial band mechanics to abnormal iliotibial band mechanics, and to develop an approach to the use of the hip endoscope in treating iliotibial band pathology.
KeywordsLactate Corticosteroid Adduct Osteoarthritis Stratification
- 2.Hilton J. Rest and pain. London: Bell; 1863.Google Scholar
- 6.Ilizaliturri VM, Camacho-Galindo J. Release of iliopsoas tendon and iliotibial band. Oper Tech Sports Med. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA.Google Scholar
- 9.Ober FR. The role of the iliotibial band and fascia lata as a factor in the causation of low-back disabilities and sciatica. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1936;18:105–10.Google Scholar
- 13.Byrd JWT. Hip arthroscopy for non-structural hip problems. In: Berry DJ, Lieberman JR, editors. Surgery of the hip. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA.Google Scholar
- 16.Ilizaliturri V. External snapping hip syndrome. In: Byrd JWT, Guanche C, editors. ANNA advanced arthroscopy: the hip. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2010. p. 138–41.Google Scholar