Informed consent is a concept that tends to be overlooked by many healthcare practitioners. It often is treated as but a step when it should be viewed as an important preface to the procedure and subsequent relationship with the surgical patient. Currently, patients have “the right to consent to or refuse healthcare and that they (must) be provided with all information material to a decision to consent to or to refuse healthcare.”
- 2.American College of Surgeons: Code of professional conduct, 2008. http://www.facs.org/fellows_info/statements/stonprin.html. Accessed 5 Mar 2010.
- 3.Hippocrates Decorum. (Jones W, Trans.). Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 1967. p. 297.Google Scholar
- 4.Katz J. Reflections on informed consent: 40 years after its birth. American College of Surgeons, Committee on Ethics, 1998. http://www.facs.org/education/ethics/katzlect.html. Accessed 5 Mar 2010.
- 5.Beauchamp TL, Childress JF. Principles of biomedical ethics. New York: Oxford University; 2009. p. 117.Google Scholar
- 6.Ruger TW. Ruger Health Law’s Coherence Anxiety. Georgetown Law J. 2008;96:625–41.Google Scholar
- 7.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Center for Medicaid and State Operations/Survey and Certification Group. Revisions to the Hospital Interpretive Guidelines for Informed Consent. 13 Apr, 2007, Ref: S&C-07-17.Google Scholar
- 8.American Medical Association: Patient physician relationship topics, informed consent, 2010. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/legal-topics/patient-physician-relationship-topics/informed-consent.shtml. Accessed 8 Mar 2010.
- 9.Bollschweiler E, Apitzsch J, Obliers R, Koerfer A, Mönig SP, Metzger R, et al. Improving informed consent of surgical patients using a multimedia-based program? Results of a prospective randomized multicenter study of patients before cholecystectomy. Ann Surg. 2008;248(2):205–11.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Patel V, Aggarwal R, Kinross J, Taylor D, Davies R, Darzi A. Improving informed consent of surgical patients using a multimedia-based program? Results of a prospective randomized multicenter study of patients before cholecystectomy. Ann Surg. 2009;249(3):546–7. author reply 547–8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Supreme Court of New Jersey. Howard v. University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, 800 Atlantic Reporter 2nd 73; 2002.Google Scholar