Thermal Management Fundamentals and Design Guides in Electronic Packaging
With increased performance requirements for smaller, more capable, and more efficient electronic systems, thermal challenges have become critical issues in electronic packaging design. Breakthroughs are needed in advanced cooling solutions and pragmatic design at chip, board, and system package levels. In response to these critical needs, advanced materials and process improvements in packaging and cooling technology are required to provide high thermal transfer efficiency, well-controlled thermal transient behavior, environmental compatibility, low weight, and acceptable material and fabrication cost. The lowest device temperature and expected reliability will be achieved when the lowest package thermal resistance is achieved. This chapter provides an outline of thermal challenges in advanced electronic packaging, heat transfer theory, and its application in thermal design, development of thermal management solutions, advanced thermal management materials selection and component design guideline, as well as environmental compatibility requirements in thermal management of electronic packaging.
KeywordsVortex Convection Boron Epoxy Shrinkage
- Asheghi M, Liu W (2007) Microscale heat transfer. Electronics Cooling. http://www.electronics-cooling.com/articles/2007/feb/a2. Accessed 16 February 2010.
- Bornoff R (2005) Get on board: solving thermal problems at board level. Printed Circuit Design & Manufacture 22:38–41.Google Scholar
- Brooks D, Martonosi M (2001) Dynamic thermal management for high-performance microprocessors. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture, Monterrey, Mexico. pp. 171–182. IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Cao L et al (1996) Transient thermal management of portable electronics using heat storage and dynamic power dissipation control. Electronic Components and Technology Conference, Orlando. pp. 205–211. IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Chomerics X X (1999) Thermal management products. http://www.chomerics.com/products/documents/thermcat/THERMALMP.pdf. Accessed 06 February 2010.
- Clark L et al (2002) An embedded 32-b microprocessor core for low-power and high- performance applications. IEEE Journal for Solid-State Circuits, 56:1599–1608.Google Scholar
- Cooper B (2006) Operating system coordinated thermal management. US patent 7054720.Google Scholar
- Couvillion R J (2006) Thermal considerations. In Ulrich R K, Brown W D (eds) Advanced Electronic Packaging, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken.Google Scholar
- Dean N (2003) Materials for thermal management. Advanced Packaging. http://ap.pennnet.com/display_article/169366/36/ARTCL/none/none/1//Materials-for-Thermal-Management/. Accessed 26 February 2010.
- Hannemann R (2003) Thermal control of electronics: perspectives and prospects. http://web.mit.edu/hmtl/www/papers/HANNEMANN.pdf. Accessed 30 January 2010.
- Hienonen R, Karjalainen M, Lankinen R (1997) Verification of the thermal design of electronic equipment. VTT Automation. http://www.vtt.fi/inf/pdf/publications/1997/p.320.pdf. Accessed 23 February 2010.
- Kromann G, Pimont V, Addison S (1998) CFD and EDA tools the interoperability of flotherm® and board station®/AutoTherm®: Concurrent design of a motorola powerPC™ RISC microprocessor-based microcomputer. Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., http://www.freescale.com/files/archives/doc/white-paper/603604THERMAL.pdf. Accessed 26 February 2010.
- Krum A (2004) Thermal management. In Harper C A (ed) Electronic packaging and interconnection handbook, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill Professional, New York.Google Scholar
- Madrid A (2000) Thermal management for applied computing. Intel Developer Update Magazine (April). http://www3.intel.com/technology/magzine/computing/ac04002.pdf. Accessed 16 January 2010.
- Manning A, Johns D (2007) Thermal/EMC simulation addresses new mechanical design challenges. http://www.conformity.com/artman/publish/printer_228.shtml. Accessed 03 February 2010.
- Maruyama S (2000) Molecular dynamics method for microscale heat transfer. In Minkowycz W J and Sparrow E M (Eds), Advances in Numerical Heat Transfer 2:189–226, Taylor & Francis, New York.Google Scholar
- März M (2003) Thermal management in high-density power converters. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology 2:1196–1201.Google Scholar
- Moran M (2001) Micro-scale avionics thermal management. NASA/TM-2001-211095. http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/GLTRS. Accessed 09 February 2010.
- NEC Electronics (2003) Thermal design of a package. http://www.necel.com/pkg/en/characteristic/heat01_03.html. Accessed 21 February 2010.
- Pang Y F (2005) Assessment of thermal behavior and development of thermal design guidelines for integrated power electronics modules. Ph.D. Dissertation. Verginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blackaburg.Google Scholar
- Petrosjanc K O (2009) Thermal design system for chip- and board-level electronic components. http://ewdtest.com/conf/EWDTS09/57.pdf. Accessed 12 February 2010.
- Rasmussen F E (2003) Electrical interconnections through CMOS wafers. PhD Thesis. Technical University of Denmark, Hellerup.Google Scholar
- Siebert W P (2005) Alternative electronic packaging concepts for high frequency electronics. PhD Thesis. Royal Institute of Technology, Tellinge (Sweden).Google Scholar
- Srinivasan J, Adve S (2003) Predictive dynamic thermal management for multimedia applications. 17th Annual International Conference of Supercomputing, San Francisco. pp. 109–120. ACM, New York.Google Scholar
- Tong X C (2009) Advanced materials for electromagnetic interference shielding. CRC Press, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Viswanath R, Wakharkar V, Watwe A, Lebonheur L (2000) Thermal performance challenges from silicon to systems. Intel Technology Journal Q3. ftp://download.intel.com/technology/itj/q32000/pdf/thermal_perf.pdf. Accessed 26 January 2010.
- Wang T, Chen C (2004) SPICE- Compatible thermal simulation with lumped circuit modeling for thermal reliability analysis based on modeling order reduction. http://cc.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~cchen/research/ISQED2004_Wang.pdf. Accessed 26 February 2010.
- Wirth E (2004) Thermal management in embedded systems. BSc Thesis, University of Virginia, Charlottesville.Google Scholar
- Young R et al (2006) Developments and trends in thermal management technologies – a mission to the USA. www.lboro.ac.uk/research/iemrc/documents/.../CB2007.pdf. Accessed 26 February 2010.