Embedded Rule-based Management for Content-based DTNs
Several countries such as Uruguay and Brazil are implementing the well-known One Laptop Per Child Program (OLPC) by which every child that attend to primary school obtains in property a laptop with wireless capabilities. They carry their laptops from home to school and back every day and, as we observed in our research, they also carry their laptops to parks, community centers etc. That provides a wide platform for opportunistic, delay tolerant, networking applications. This paper presents a lowcost, delay-tolerant, network of sensors implemented embedding high-level decision-making capabilities inside consumer-grade wireless routers working together with the OLPC laptops. The sensors are deployed at the living premises of children in environmentally vulnerable neighborhoods as well as at their schools, parks, etc. The environmental data collected by the sensors is carried to the school by the laptops and from the school to monitoring stations over the Internet. In this system, all the entities in the network are publishers and subscribers of con_guration commands, policy-rules and environmental data, building a exible, self-management solution.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lua, the programming language, http://www.lua.org
- 2.ns3 network simulator, http://www.nsnam.org/
- 3.PICDEM Full Speed USB, http://www.microchip.com/
- 4.Plan Ceibal, http://www.ceibal.edu.uy/
- 5.The OpenWrt Project, http://openwrt.org/
- 6.UmComputador porAluno -UCA,http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPCBrasil/Porto_Alegre
- 9.Baliosian, J., Visca, J., Grampin, E., Vidal, L., Giachino, M.: A rule-based distributed system for self-optimization of constrained devices. In: Integrated Network Management, 2009. IM ’09. IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on. pp. 41-48 (1-5 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Baliosian, J., Visca, J., Richart, M., Apollonia, G., Vidal, L., Giachino, M., Gramp__n, E.: Self-managed content-based routing for delay tolerant networks. Tech. rep., UDELAR (2010), http://www._ng.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/wan/documentos/ronreport.pdf
- 11.Huang, T.K., Lee, C.K., Chen, L.J.: Prophet+: An adaptive prophet-based routing protocol for opportunistic network. In: Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), 2010 24th IEEE International Conference on. pp. 112-119 (20-23 2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Nehab, D.: Network support for the lua language. Web, http://www.tecgraf.pucrio.br/~diego/professional/luasocket/