Standardizing Legal Content with OWL and RDF
Wolters Kluwer is one of the largest legal publishers in the world. Its various publishing units use a multitude of different formats to mark up what is effectively similar content. We describe a common content architecture based on OWL, RDF and XHTML that is used to build a standard representation of legal content, allowing publishable assets to be integrated across the enterprise. This architecture is governed by an OWL ontology that models the (occasionally complex) behaviour of legal documents and acts as a domain model of common legal metadata. How do OWL and RDF scale up to real-world publishing? We describe practical issues in producing and validating RDF on an industrial scale; in performance management; in handling fragmented ontologies; and the challenge of using RDF in a performant XSLT pipeline.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hitzler P, Kr¨otzsch M, Parsia B, Patel-Schneider B, Rudolph F (2009) OWL 2 Web Ontology Language Primer. W3C Recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-primer/. Accessed May 2010
- 2.Manola F, Miller E (2004) RDF Primer. W3C Recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfprimer/. Accessed May 2010
- 3.Isaac A, Summers E (2009) SKOS Simple Knowledge Organization System Primer. W3C Recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/. Accessed May 2010
- 4.Altheim M, McCarron S (2001) XHTMLł 1.1 - Module-based XHTML. W3C Recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/. Accessed May 2010
- 5.Adida B, Birbeck M, McCarron S, Pemberton S (2008) RDFa in XHTML: Syntax and Processing. W3C Recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/. Accessed May 2010
- 6.Motik B, Horrocks I, Sattler U (2009) Bridging the Gap Between OWL and Relational Data-bases. Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web. doi: 10.1016/j.websem.2009.02.001Google Scholar
- 7.Sirin E, Smith M, Wallace E (2008) Opening, Closing Worlds - On Integrity Constraints. http://www.webont.org/owled/2008/papers/owled2008eu submission 30.pdf. Online document. Accessed May 2010
- 8.Beckett D, Broekstra J (2008) SPARQL Query ResultsXML Format.W3C Recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-XMLres/. Accessed May 2010