On-demand Assistance in Handling Ammunition:Development of a Mobile Ammo DSS
Wireless technology and the emergence of handheld devices provide new ways to deliver and present information. For the military, availability of needed ammunition information is critical for decision making, especially in a war zone. This case study describes the extension of a Web-based ammunition multimedia encyclopedia (AME) developed for the U.S. Army Defense Ammunition Center (DAC). Mobile AME uses handheld technology to provide Quality Assurance Specialist Ammunition Surveillance (QASAS) personnel access to needed ammunition information via a personal digital assistant (PDA). The focus was to develop a highly usable system supporting QASAS decision making and training in choosing the best practices to properly handle ammunition items. This chapter discusses the motivation behind Mobile AME, design and development of the system, and future directions.
KeywordsMobile decision support Handheld technology Ammunition multimedia encyclopedia
- Abowd, G., A. Dey, P. Brown, N. Davies, M. Smith and P. Steggles, “Toward a Better Understanding of Context and Context-Awareness,” in Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Handheld and Ubiquitous Computing, Karlsruhe, 1999, 24–29.Google Scholar
- Apple, Inc., iPhone Technology, 2008, http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/high-technology.html, accessed on November 25, 2008.
- Brown, J., “Display for Handheld Devices Issue,” October 22, 2008. URL = http://www.informationdisplay.org/article.cfm?year=2008&issue=10&file=art6
- Burstein, F., A. Zaslavsky and N. Zrora, “Context-Aware Mobile Agents for Decision-Making Support in Healthcare Emergency Applications,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Context Modeling and Decision Support, CONTEXT’05 Paris, 2005.Google Scholar
- Burstein, F., J. Cowie, A. Zaslavsky and J. San Pedro, “Support for Real-Time Decision Making in Mobile Financial Applications,” in Burstein, F. and Clyde W. (eds.) Handbook on Decision Support Systems. Berlin: Springer, 2008.Google Scholar
- Buyukkokten, O., H. Garcia-Molina, A. Paepcke and T. Winograd, “Power Browser: Efficient Web Browsing for PDAs,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factor in Computing System (CHI’00), The Hague, 2000, 430–437.Google Scholar
- Cabrera, J., H. Frutos, A. Stoica, Y. Dimitriadis, G. Fiotakis and K. D. Liveri, “Mystery in the Museum: Collaborative Learning Activities Using Handheld Devices,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices & Services, MobileHCI ‘05, Salzburg, 2005, 19–22.Google Scholar
- Chen, G. and D. Kotz, “A Survey of Context-Aware Mobile Computing Research,” Tech. Report TR2000–381, Department of Computer Science, Dartmouth College, Hanover, 2000.Google Scholar
- Eisenstein, J., J. Vanderdonckt and A. Puerta, “Applying Model-Based Techniques to the Development of UIs for Mobile Computers,” in Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, Santa Fe, 2001, 69–76.Google Scholar
- Germonprez, M., N. Germonprez and M. Avital, “Using Interface Design Standards to Support Pervasive Computing,” Sprouts: Working Papers on Information Systems, 5, 14, 2005.Google Scholar
- Hofmann-Wellenhof, B., H. Lichtenegger and J. Collins, Global Positioning System: Theory and Practice, 4th edn. Wien: Springer, 1997.Google Scholar
- Holzinger, A. and M. Errath, “Designing Web-Applications for Mobile Computers: Experiences with Applications to Medicine,” in Stephanidis, C. and Stary, C. (eds.) User-Centered Interaction Paradigms for Universal Access in the Information Society. Lecture Notes of Computer Science, 3196. Berlin: Springer, 2004, 262–267.Google Scholar
- Housel, B. C. and D. B. Lindquist, “WebExpress: A Client/Intercept Based System for Optimizing Web Browsing in a Wireless Environment,” in Proceedings of the Second Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Rye, 1996, 419–431.Google Scholar
- Jackson, P., J. Favier and I. Stagia, “Segmenting Europe’s’ Mobile Consumers,” Forrest Research Technographics Report, 2002.Google Scholar
- Jones, M, G. Marsden, N. Mohd-Nasir, K. Boone and G. Buchanan, “Improving Web Interaction on Small Displays,” in Proceeding of the Eighth International Conference on World Wide Web, Toronto, 1999, 1129–1137.Google Scholar
- Kearney, K., J. Self, L. Bailey, E. Harris, S. Halcomb, B. Hill and U. Shimp, “Building an Academic and Government Partnership in Workforce Education: Challenges and Possibilities,” Journal of Industrial Teacher Education, 44, 3, 2007, 71–91.Google Scholar
- Keeker, K., “Improving Web Site Usability and Appeal,” 1997, URL = http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc889361%28office.11%29.aspx
- Kjeldskov, J. and C. Graham, “A Review of Mobile HCI Research Methods,” in Proceedings of Mobile Human-Computer Interaction 2003, 2003, 317–335.Google Scholar
- Kjeldskov, J., M. B. Skov, B. S. Als, and R. T. Hoegh, “Is It Worth The Hassle? Exploring the Added Value of Evaluating the Usability of Context-Aware Mobile Systems in the Field,” in Proceedings of Mobile Human-Computer Interaction 2004, 2004, 61–73.Google Scholar
- Kristoffersen, S. and F. Ljungberg, “Making Place to Make IT Work: Empirical Explorations of HCI for Mobile CSCW,” in Proceedings of the International ACM SIGGROUP Conference on Supporting Group Work, Phoenix, 1999, 276–285.Google Scholar
- Lee, M-W., “Developing Mobile Applications Using the Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit,” 2007, http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/10148/1954, accessed on November 21, 2008.
- MobileDesign, “Mobile UI Design Resources, Patterns, Devices, and so Forth,” December 2, 2008, URL = http://patterns.littlespringsdesign.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Mullen, S., “Ammunition Readiness: Current problems and future implications for army transformation,” An Institution of Land Warfare Publication, 2002, URL = http://www.ausa.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/ILW%20Web-ExclusivePubs/Landpower%20Essays/LPE02-1.pdf’.
- Nielsen, J., Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity. Indianapolis: New Riders, 2000.Google Scholar
- Nivala, A.-M. and L. T. Sarjakoski, “Need for Context-Aware Topographic Maps in Mobile Devices,” in Proceedings of ScanGIS 2003, Espoo, 2003, 15–29.Google Scholar
- Pestana, G., M. Silva, A. Casaca and J. Nunes, “Systems and Applications: An Airport Decision Support System for Mobiles Surveillance & Alerting,” in Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, Baltimore, 2005, 33–40.Google Scholar
- Ramsay, M. and J. Nielsen, “WAP Usability Report – Deja vu: 1994 All Over Again,” Technical Report, Nielsen Norman Group, 2000, URL = http://www.NNgroup.com/reports/wap, accessed on December 15, 2008.
- Schilit, B., N. Adams and R. Want, “Context-Aware Computing Applications,” in Proceedings of IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, Santa Cruz, 1994, 85–90.Google Scholar
- Siau, K., H. Sheng and F. Nah, “Development of a Framework for Trust in Mobile Commerce,” The Second Pre-ICIS Annual Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction Research in MIS, Seattle, 2003.Google Scholar
- Steiniger, S., M. Neun and A. Edwardes, “Foundations of Location Based Services,” Lecture Notes on LBS, Department of Geography, University of Zurich, 2006.Google Scholar
- Venkatesh, V. and V. Ramesh, “Web and Wireless Site Usability: Understanding Differences and Modeling Use,” MIS Quarterly, 30, 1, 2006, 181–206.Google Scholar