Introduction of National Intellectual Capital
National wealth, national competitiveness, and economic development are issues of concern for national leaders, policy makers, and world organizations. As a result, various kinds of national ranking have caught the attention of relevant parties, such as the World Competitiveness Yearbook published by the International Institute for Management Development (IMD). The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) also estimates and reports the potential future wealth of its member countries. Such ranking enables national leaders to locate the relative position of their own nation in the global arena, find a benchmarking nation, and then appropriately strategize their policies for securing national development and competitiveness.
KeywordsHuman Capital Gross Domestic Product Intellectual Capital National Leader National Ranking
- Bounfour, A., and L. Edvinsson. 2004a. IC for communities, nations, regions, cities, and other communities. Boston: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Edvinsson, L., and M.S. Malone. 1997a. Intellectual capital: Realizing your company’s true value by defining its hidden brainpower. New York: Harper Business.Google Scholar
- Jarehov, M., and C. Stenfelt. 1998. Stockholm University, Market Academy, Master thesis.Google Scholar
- Malhotra, Y. 2000a. Knowledge assets in the global economy: Assessment of national intellectual capital. Journal of Global Information Management 8(3): 5–15.Google Scholar
- Malhotra, Y. 2003. Managing and measuring knowledge assets in the public sector. Working paper, Syracuse University.Google Scholar
- Pasher, E., and S. Shachar. 2007. The intellectual capital of the sate of Israel: 60 years of achievement. http://www.moital.gov.il/ic.
- Rembe, A. 1999. The governmental invest in Sweden Agency – ISA: Report 1999. Halls Offset AB, Stockholm. Available at: http://www.isa.se.
- Stähle, P., and A. Pöyhönene. 2005. Intellectual capital and national competitiveness: a critical examination. Case Finland. Proceedings of the 6th European Conference of Knowledge Management (ECKM), University of Limerick, Limerick.Google Scholar
- Stewart, T.A. 1997a. Intellectual capital: The new wealth of organizations. New York: Nicholas Brealey.Google Scholar
- Weziak, D. 2007. Measurement of national intellectual capital application to EU countries. http://www.ceps.lu/pdf/11/art1294.pdf.
- World Bank. 1998a. World development report: Knowledge for development. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar