Legislation on Nutraceuticals and Food Supplements: A Comparison between Regulations in USA and EU
This chapter provides a short review of the main regulations concerning functional food and nutraceutical products set out by the US Food and Drug Administration and in the European Union by the European Commission. The directives are presented in chronological order with an overview on the reaction and feedback they received from consumers and manufacturing industry. A comparison between the US and EU regulations, their acceptance and impact on the market is presented, together with a final suggestion to enhance the future development and distribution of functional products, which belong to an equivocal area between food and drugs.
KeywordsDietary Supplement Food Supplement Functional Food European Food Safety Authority Health Claim
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.FDA. Dietary Supplements. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~DMS/supplmnt.html.
- 4.AARP Public Policy Institute. Dietary supplements and older consumers. Data Digest 2001; 66:1–8.Google Scholar
- 5.72 Fed. Reg. 34752. FDA Issues Dietary Supplements Final Rule. 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.Knight, Sam. “Controversial EU Vitamins Ban To Go Ahead.” The Times, July 12, 2005. Europe news section, Online edition.Google Scholar
- 9.“Court Victory for Vitamin Firms.” BBC News, January 30, 2004. BBC Health section, Online edition.Google Scholar
- 10.“EU Health Foods Crackdown Wrong.” BBC News, April 5, 2005. BBC Health section, Online edition.Google Scholar
- 11.Commission reply PE 374.206 to Petition 0694/2005 by Graham Allen Green (British), on the Food Supplements Directive. May 12, 2006.Google Scholar
- 12.“Vitamin Controls Cacked by Europe.” BBC News, 2005.Google Scholar
- 13.“EU Court Backs Health Supplements Ban.” The Guardian, July 12, 2005. Society health section, Online edition.Google Scholar
- 14.Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of December 20, 2006 on nutrition and health claims made on foods.Google Scholar