Disability and International Health
International health planning is supported by agreements reached among regions and across nation-states for the development of health policy and legislation, provision of services and assessment of their outcomes. This chapter introduces key agreements reached by United Nations member states and discusses how these agreements are driving the rapid development of a new interdisciplinary health field known as Functioning and Disability.
KeywordsBurning Transportation Malaria
- Burtner, P. (Course developer and instructor) (2010). An online course presented by the Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Florida College of Dentistry. Webmaster, Oral Health Care for Persons with Disabilities, http://www.dental.ufl.edu/Faculty/Pburtner/disabilities/English/mnretard.htm.
- Chamie, M. (1989) Survey design strategies for the study of disability. World Health Statistics Quarterly, 42, 122–140.Google Scholar
- Désesquelles, A. (2005). Disability in French Prisons: how does the situation differ from that of the general population? Population – E, 60(1–2), 65–92.Google Scholar
- Global Forum for Health Research. (2005). Proceedings from Workshop on Setting International Standards for Inclusion of Disability in Disaster Preparedness and Response, Mumbai, India (Satellite Meeting of Forum 9, Global Forum for Health Research).Google Scholar
- Groce, N., Chamie, M., Me, A. (1999). Measuring the quality of life: rethinking the world bank’s disability adjusted life years. International Rehabilitation Review, 49, 12–15.Google Scholar
- Grosse, S.D., Lollar, D., Campbell, V., Chamie, M. (2009). Disability and disability-adjusted live years (DALYs): not the same. Public Health Reports PRHN, 124, 197–202.Google Scholar
- International Labor Office; United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization & World Health Organization. (2004). A Strategy for Rehabilitation, Equalization of Opportunities, Poverty Reduction and Social Inclusion of People with Disabilities: Joint Position Paper 2004, Reference 92-4-159238-9 (ISBN) 27pp. Taken from http://www.ilo.org/skills/what/pubs/lang--en/docName--WCMS_107938/index.htm (ILO, Employment, Skills and Employability Department (no website date).
- McLeod, D. (2003) Community-Based Social Services: Practical Advice Based upon Lessons from Outside the World Bank Social Protection Discussion Paper Series No. 0327 (Also available at http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DISABILITY/Resources/280658-1172671461088/CommunityBasedMcLeod.pdf
- Mid-South Regional Resource Center, Lexington, Kentucky. (1997). State Eligibility Criteria for Educable Mentally Handicapped (EMH) and Trainable Mentally Handicapped (TMH); Available at Education Resources Information Center (ERIC # ED416129) http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED461219&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED461219.
- Mont, D. (2007). Measuring health and disability. Lancet, 369, 1658–1663Google Scholar
- Mont, D. & Loeb, M. (2008). Beyond DALYs: developing indicators to assess the impact of public health interventions on the lives of people with disabilities. SP Discussion Paper No. 0815, World Bank. See http://siteresources.worldbank.org/SOCIALPROTECTION/Resources/SP-Discussion-papers/Disability-DP/0815.pdf
- Murray, C. & Lopez, A (Eds.) (1996). Global Burden of Disease, (Cambridge: Harvard University Press on behalf of the World Health Organization and the World Bank).Google Scholar
- United Nations Enable (a) (no website date) The Convention in Brief http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?navid=14&pid=162.
- United Nations Enable (b) (no website date) The Millenium Development Goals and Disability http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=1470.
- United Nations General Assembly. (1982). The World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly at its thirty-seventh session on 3 December 1982 by its resolution 37/52. See Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-seventh Session; Supplement No. 51 (A/37/51). Available at http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=23. (United Nations Enable, 2007).
- Seltzer, W. & Anderson, M. (2008). Using population data systems to target vulnerable population subgroups and individuals: issues and incidents. Statistical Methods for Human Rights, J. Asher, D. Banks, and F.S. Scheuren eds. (New York, Springer) pp. 273–328.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (2008). Millenium Development Goals http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/.
- United Nations Enable. (2008a). Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities. http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=150.
- United Nations Enable. (2008b). The Millenium Development Goals and Disability http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=1470.
- United Nations General Assembly. (1993). The Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities. Adopted by the United Nations General Assembly at its 48th session on 20 December 1993 (resolution 48/96). New York, New York, Available at http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/dissre00.htm United Nations Enable, (2007).
- United Nations General Assembly. (2006). Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, Available at http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=150 United Nations Enable, (2008).
- United Nations Statistics Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs. (2006). Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics, (ST/ESA/ STAT/OFFICIALSTATISTICS/WWW), http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/statorg/FP-English.htm.
- United Nations Statistics Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs. (2007). Principles and Recommendations for Population and Housing Censuses, Revision 2, (ST/ESA/STAT/Ser.M/67/Rev.2) p. 255.Google Scholar
- United Nations Statistics Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs. (2008). List of International Family of Economic and Social Classifications. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/class/family/family1.asp.
- United Nations Statistics Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs. (2009a). Human Functioning and Disability http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/sconcerns/disability/default.htm.
- United Nations Statistics Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs. (2009b). Washington Group on Disability Statistics http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/citygroup/washington.htm.
- United Nations Statistical Office, Department of International Economic and Social Affairs. (1990). Disability Statistics Compendium. (ST/ESA/STAT/SER.Y/4).Google Scholar
- World Bank. (2009). Disability: Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR). http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTSOCIALPROTECTION/EXTDISABILITY/0,,contentMDK:20192706∼menuPK:418196∼pagePK:148956∼piPK:216618∼theSitePK:282699,00.html.
- World Health Organization. (1980). International Classification of Impairments, Disabilities, and Handicaps (ICIDH), Geneva.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (1992). International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, Tenth Revision, Geneva (Volumes I, II and III), Geneva.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2001). International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health, Geneva.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization, Rehabilitation. (1994). Community-Based Rehabilitation and the Health Care Referral Services: A guide for program managers (WHO/RHB/94/1). Taken from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/1994/WHO_RHB_94.1.pdf.