Fundamental Limits of Cooperative and Relay Network
In this chapter, the fundamental limits of relay networks are introduced under different channel settings, including Gaussian channels and wireless fading channels. For each scenario, we will study the information-theoretic capacities, diversity-multiplexing tradeoffs, and scaling laws of large networks accordingly. In Section 5.1, we first examine the case of the single-relay Gaussian channel. When the relay is full-duplex, it can be shown that decode-and-forward (DF) and compress-and-forward (CF) schemes achieve capacity under certain scenarios; however, such results are not enjoyed in the more practical half-duplex relay network. In Section 5.2, we take the channel fading into consideration and discuss the fundamental limits under fast and slow fading scenarios.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Azarian, K., ElGamal, H., Schniter, P.:On the achievable diversity-multiplexing tradeoff in half-duplex cooperative channels. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 51(12), 4152–4172(2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Cover, T.M., Thomas, J.A.: Elements of Information Theory, 2nd edn. Wiley-Interscience(2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Kramer, G.,Gastpar, M.,Gupta, P.:Cooperative strategies and capacity theorems for relay networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 51(9), 3037–3063(2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Laneman, J., Tse, D., Wornell, G.:Cooperative diversity in wireless networks: Efficient protocols and outage behavior. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 50(12), 3062–3080(2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Gastpar, M., Vetterli, M.: On the capacity of large Gaussian relay networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 51(3), 765–779(2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Telatar, ˙ I.E.: Capacity of multi-antenna Gaussian channels. European Transactions on Telecommunications 10(6), 585–595(1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Tse, D., Viswanath, P.: Fundamentals of Wireless Communication. Cambridge University Press(2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Wyner, A., Ziv, J.:The rate-distortion function for source coding with side information at the decoder. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 22(1), 1–10(1976)Google Scholar