Cellular, Molecular, and Genetic Changes During the Development of Ceratopteris richardii Gametophytes
Ceratopteris richardii is an aquatic fern that has proven to be a productive model system for studies in the genetics, biochemistry, and cell biology of early gametophytic development. Here we review and discuss the recent literature that documents the cellular, molecular, and gene expression changes that occur in gametophytes during polarity development and sexual differentiation, and in response to the environmental stimuli of light and gravity. Different approaches to achieve genetic transformation in this fern will also be discussed.
KeywordsSpore Germination Nuclear Migration Feminine Trait Polarity Fixation Aquatic Fern
- Bushart, T.J., Clark, G.B., Porterfield, D.M., and Roux, S.J. 2010. Testing the role of Ca2+-ATPases in the gravity-directed, trans-cell current of calcium in single-celled spores of Ceratopteris richardii. Gravitational and Space Biology 23.Google Scholar
- Cooke, T.J., Racusen, R.H., Hickok, L.G., and Warne, T.R. 1987. The photocontrol of spore germination in the fern Ceratopteris richardii. Plant and Cell Physiology 28:753–759.Google Scholar
- Nozue, K., Kanegae, T., Imaizumi, T., Fukuda, S., Okamoto, H., Yeh, K.C., Lagarias, J.C., and Wada, M. 1998. A phytochrome from the fern Adiantum with features of the putative photoreceptor NPH1. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 95:15826–15830.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Renzaglia, K.S., Warne, T.R., and Hickok, L.G. 1995. Plant development and the fern life-cycle using Ceratopteris richardii. American Biology Teacher 57:38–442.Google Scholar
- ul Haque, A., Rokkam, M., De Carlo, A.R., Wereley, S.T., Wells, H.W., McLamb, W.T., Roux, S.J., Irazoqui, P.P., and Porterfield, D.M. 2006a. Design, fabrication and characterization of an in silico cell physiology lab for bio sensing applications. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 34:740–746.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ul Haque, A., Rokkam, M., DeCarlo, A.R., Wereley, S.T., Wells, H.W., McLamb, W.T., Roux, S.J., Irazoqui, P.P., and Porterfield, D.M. 2006b. In silico cell electrophysiology for measuring transcellular calcium currents. In Smart Medical and Biomedical Sensor Technology IV, eds. http://spie.org/x648.html?productid=673351&originid=x4323&startyear=2006&startat=21 B.M. Cullum and J.C. Carter, Vol. 6380, pp. U51–U59.
- Wada, M., Kadota, A., and Furuya, M. 1983. Intracellular-localization and dichroic orientation of phytochrome in plasma-membrane and or ectoplasm of a centrifuged protonema of fern Adiantum capillus-veneris L. Plant and Cell Physiology 24:1441–1447.Google Scholar