Empirically Guided Community Intervention for Partner Abuse, Child Maltreatment, Suicidality, and Substance Misuse
This chapter describes an initial implementation and evaluation of NORTH STAR, a community-based framework for the prevention of family maltreatment, suicidality, and substance problems. NORTH STAR was evaluated using existing installation-level prevention teams at 24 U.S. Air Force bases worldwide in the context of a randomized controlled trial (RCT). NORTH STAR organizes teams’ prevention efforts by (a) providing the results of a needs assessment focused both on problems and risk/promotive factors, (b) prioritizing among problems and associated factors, (c) implementing activities from a menu of empirically supported community-based initiatives for each risk factor, (d) evaluating those activities, and (e) ensuring sustainability through a reliance on preexisting resources. NORTH STAR had promising results, appearing to reduce some problems, especially in communities with more adverse prevention climates. The implications of our efforts for community-wide prevention generally and within the U.S. Air Force are considered.
KeywordsCommunity That Care Partner Abuse Suicide Prevention Program Integrate Delivery System Secretive Problem
- Air Force Community Action Information Board. (2008). About CAIB. Retrieved June 26, 2009, from http://www.airforceids.org.
- Bowen, G. L., Martin, J. A., & Nelson, J. P. (2002). A community capacity response to family violence in the United States Air Force. In A. R. Roberts & G. J. Greene (Eds.), Social workers’ desk reference (pp. 551–556). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Busby, D. M., Holman, T. B., & Taniguchi, N. (2001). RELATE: Relationship evaluation of the individual, family, cultural, and couple contexts. Family Relations, 50, 308–316.Google Scholar
- Chiarelli, P. W. (2009). Army campaign plan for health promotion, risk reduction and suicide prevention (ACPHP; 16-April-09 Memo). Retrieved June 30, 2009, from http://www.armyg1.army.mil/HR/suicide/Docs/CompleteSignedCampaignPlanandAnnexes.pdf.
- Christensen, H., Griffiths, K. M., & Jorm, A. F. (2004). Delivering interventions for depression by using the Internet: Randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal, 328, 265–275.Google Scholar
- Hawkins, J. D. (1996). Report to Congress: Title V incentive grants for local delinquency prevention programs. Retrieved September 18, 2007, from http://www.ncjrs.org/docfiles/165694.doc
- Hawkins, J. D. (2001, May). Science-based prevention: Testing communities that care. Paper presented at Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Staff Briefing.Google Scholar
- Hawkins, J. D., Catalano, R. F., & Arthur, M. W. (2002). Promoting science-based prevention in communities. Addictive Behaviors, 27, 951–976.Google Scholar
- Hawkins, J. D., Catalano, R. F., & Associates. (1992). Communities that care: Action for drug abuse prevention. San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass.Google Scholar
- Heyman, R. E., & Slep, A. M. S. (Eds.). (2001). Special issue: Risk factors for family violence. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 6, 115–356.Google Scholar
- Heyman, R. E. & Slep, A. M. S. (in press). Estimating prevalences of sensitive problems from non-sensitive data. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.Google Scholar
- Heyman, R. E., Slep, A. M. S., & Casillas, K. L. (2001). Development and content validation of family maltreatment measures based on Air Force definitions of maltreatment. Unpublished manuscript, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY.Google Scholar
- Medical Readiness, Division, J-4, The Joint Staff. (2003). Force health protection capstone. Arlington, VA: Pentagon.Google Scholar
- Mrazek, P. J., & Haggerty, R. J. (Eds.). (1994). Reducing risks for mental disorders: Frontiers for preventive intervention research. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Nelson, J. P. (2001). Integrated delivery system (IDS) for human services prevention. In The AF Suicide Prevention Program: A description of program initiatives and outcomes (pp. 23–25) AFPAM 44-160. Washington, DC: AF Medical Operations Agency.Google Scholar
- Office for Prevention and Health Services Assessment. (1999). Commanders’ views on assessing behavioral health. San Antonio, TX: Brooks Air Force Base.Google Scholar
- Raudenbush, S. W., & Bryk, A. S. (2002). Hierarchical linear models: Applications and data analysis methods (2nd ed.). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sanders, M. R., Turner, K. M. & Markie-Dadds, C. (2002). The development and dissemination of the Triple P-Positive Parenting Program: A multilevel, evidence-based system of parenting and family support. Prevention Science, 3, 173–189.Google Scholar
- Schiraldi, G. R., & Brown, S. L. (2002). Preventive mental health education for functioning adults: Stress, coping and mental health courses at the University of Maryland. International Journal of Emergency Mental Health, 4, 57–64.Google Scholar
- Slep, A. M. S., & Heyman, R. E. (2008). Public health approaches to family maltreatment prevention: Resetting family psychology’s sights from the home to the community. Journal of Family Psychology, 22, 518–528.Google Scholar
- Slep, A. M. S., & Heyman, R. E. (Eds.). (2006). Enhancing the integrated delivery system (IDS): A guidebook to activities that work (3rd ed.). Stony Brook, NY: State University of New York.Google Scholar
- Slep, A. M. S., Heyman, R. E., & Lorber, M. F. (2009, June). The Air Force NORTH STAR initiative. Paper presented at the semi-annual research meeting of the USAF family advocacy program, San Antonio, TX.Google Scholar
- Snarr, J. D., Heyman, R. E., & Slep, A. M. S. (2007). The 2006 Air Force behavioral health problem review: Assessing the prevalence of force health challenges. Unpublished manuscript, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY.Google Scholar
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2009). Communities that care. Retrieved June 30, 2009, from http://ncadi.samhsa.gov/features/ctc/resources.aspx.
- U.S. Air Force Suicide Prevention Program. (2009). Air force suicide prevention program. Retrieved June 30, 2009, from http://afspp.afms.mil.