Microcalcifications Detection Using Fisher’s Linear Discriminant and Breast Density
Breast cancer is one of the main causes of death in women. However, its early detection through microcalcifications identification is a powerful tool to save many lives. In this study, we present a supervised microcalcifications detection method based on Fisher’s Linear Discriminant. Our method considers knowledge about breast density allowing it to identify microcalcifications even in difficult cases (when there is not high contrast between the microcalcification and the surrounding breast tissue). We evaluated our method with two mammograms databases for each of its phases: breast density classification, microcalcifications segmentation, and false-positive reduction, obtaining cumulative accuracy results around 90% for the microcalcifications detection task.
- 3.Fu J C, Lee S K, Wong S, Yeh J Y, Wang A H, and Wu H K (2005) Image segmentation feature selection and pattern classification for mammographic microcalcifications. Computer Medical Imaging and Graphics. doi:10.1016/j.compmedimag.2005.03.002Google Scholar
- 4.Lee Y and Tsai D (2004) Computerized classification of microcalcifications on mammograms using fuzzy logic and genetic algorithm. Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging, pp. 952–957Google Scholar
- 5.Flores B and Gonzalez J (2004) Data mining with decision trees and neuronal networks for calcifications detection in mammograms. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 232–241Google Scholar
- 6.Mousa R, Qutaishat M and Moussa A (2005) Breast cancer diagnosis system based on wavelet analysis and fuzzy neural. Expert Systems with Applications – Elsevier 28: 713–723Google Scholar
- 11.Suckling J, Parker J, Dance D, Astley S, Hutt I, Boggis C, Ricketts I, Stamatakis E, Cerneaz N, Kok S, Taylor P, Betal D and Savage J (1994) The Mammographic Image Analysis Society digital mammogram database. Exerpta Medica: 375–378Google Scholar
- 12.Belhumeur P, Hespanha J, and Kriegman D (1997) Eigenfaces vs Fisherfaces: Recognition using class specific linear projection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. doi:10.1109/34.598228Google Scholar