Commercial surveillance: mapping on a large scale
There are two distinct ways in which the commercial world is involved in observing the earth from space. One way is for a commercial company to build an earthobserving satellite and sell the images to anyone willing to pay for them - whether they are in the public or the private sector. Companies such as GeoEye, Digital Globe and SPOT Image fall into this category.
KeywordsDigital Elevation Model Satellite Imagery Imaging Radar Automatic Identification System Elevation Information
- Keith A. (2010b) Low-Cost Data: Threat to Commercial Operators? Space News,January 11th, 19–21.Google Scholar
- de Selding P. B. (2009b) GeoEye Earnings Sharply Higher on GeoEye-1 Sales, Space News,November 16th, 10.Google Scholar
- Nativi A. and Taverna M. (2009) Turkish Delight: Telespazio to Supply Gokturk Surveillance Satellite, US Milsatcom Capacity, Aviation Week & Space Technology,January 5th, 31–33.Google Scholar
- Northern Sky Research (NSR) (2009) Global Satellite-Based Earth 0bservation: An Assessment of Growth Potential for 2008–2018,available online at www.nsr.com/index.php?option = com_virtuemart&Itemid=134,November.
- de Selding P. B. (2008) Pixel Factory Provides Increasingly Popular Cheap and Easy Imaging, Space News,November 24th, 17.Google Scholar
- Williams J. (2001) GIS Processing of Geocoded Satellite Data(Chichester, UK: Springer-Praxis).Google Scholar
- Longhorn R. (ed.) (2010c) WorldView-2 Elevation Data Accuracy Verified, Geo:Connexion International,May, 9(5), 10.Google Scholar
- Farr, T. G. et al.(2007) The Shuttle Radar Topography Mission, Rev. Geophys., 45, RG2004, doi: 10.1029/2005RG000183.Google Scholar
- Noren J. (2007) CIA's Analysis of the Soviet Economy, in Haines G. K. and Leggett R. E. (eds), Watching the Bear: Essays on CIA's Analysis of the Soviet Union(Washington, DC: CIA/CSI), available online at www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/watching-the-bear-essays-on-cias-analysis-of-the-soviet-union/article02.html.
- Mikoyan S. A. (2001) Eroding the Soviet "Culture of Secrecy'': Western Winds Behind Kremlin Walls, Studies in Intelligence,available online at www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/fall_; winter_2001/article05.html.
- Smith T. (2004) Policing EU Farm Subsidies, the Italian Way, BBC News, September 16th, available online at http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/3658010.stm.
- Longhorn R. (ed.) (2010a) DigitalGlobe Today and Tomorrow, Geo:Connexion International,May, 9(5), 5.Google Scholar
- Taverna M. A. (2008) Private Eye: German Commercial Remote SensingGoogle Scholar
- Musquère A. (2009) L'espace au service du vignoble, Air & Cosmos,October 2nd, 2188, 44.Google Scholar
- Parmalee P. J. (ed.) (2010) Some Shut-Eye for RapidEye, Aviation Week & Space Technology,February 1st, 16.Google Scholar
- Pachauri R. K. and Reisinger A. (eds) (2007) Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. Contribution ofWorking Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change(Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC).Google Scholar
- Fischlin A. et al.(2007) Ecosystems, their Properties, Goods, and Services, in Parry M. L. et al.(eds), Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability.Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of theIntergovernmental Panel on Climate Change(Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press), 211–272.Google Scholar
- Bawa J. (2010) Seeing the Wood and the Trees, in Environment, Sustainability & the Food Challenge,insert in London Sunday Times,April 18th, available online at www.climatechangeandthefoodsupplychallenge.com/ClimateChangePages/clima te.pdf,52–53.
- Stryker T. S. (2009) Land Surface Imaging (LSI) Constellation, 23rd CEOS Plenary (Phuket, Thailand), December 3rd–5th, available online at www.symbioscomms.com/ceos2009/files/CEOS23_Item16_3_23rd%20CEOS%20plenary%20Presentation%20LSI%20constellation.ppt.
- Fiennes R. (2006) Above the World: Stunning Satellite Images from Above Earth (London: Cassell Illustrated), Foreword.Google Scholar
- United Nations (2009) Copenhagen Accord FCCC/CP/2009/L.7 (New York: United Nations), December 18th, available online at http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2009/cop15/eng/l07.pdf.
- Brown L. R. (2009) Could Food Shortages Bring Down Civilization? Scientific American,May, 300(5), 38–45.Google Scholar
- Inmarsat (2010) Via Inmarsat,January–March.Google Scholar
- Stuart T. (2009) Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal(London: Penguin Books).Google Scholar
- Brinton T. (2010f) Space Hardware Firm Doubles Down on Ship Tracking Service, Space News,April 19th, 14.Google Scholar