The arrival of the telegraph in North America in the mid 1800s led to the invention of weather forecasting as we know it. Not the “red sky at night shepherd’s or sailor’s delight” type of forecast, but a recognition that weather conditions are transferred from one place to the next by the winds. Cleveland Abbe is usually cited as the first modern weather observer, initiating a network of weather stations linked by telegraph in 1869. The success of this initiative led to the creation of the national weather service in 1870. Run by the US Army Signal Corps, Cleveland Abbe was appointed its chief scientist.
KeywordsEuropean Space Agency Geostationary Satellite Weather Information Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite National Weather Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hayes J. (2009) NOAA National Weather Service Serving the Nation's Environmental Forecasting Needs, available online at www.nws.noaa.gov/com/files/lubchenco_brief_040309.pdf,April 3rd.
- Hayes J. (2008) Bridging Research and Operations for Future Environmental Services, 88th AMS Annual Meeting, January 22nd, available online at www.weather.gov/com/files/GEOSS_Oct_NN.pdf.
- Canan J. (2009) Cloudy Forecast for NPOESS, Aerospace America,October, 38–43.Google Scholar
- Carroll R. (2010) Peruvian Glacier Split Triggers Deadly Tsunami, London Guardian,April 13th, available online at www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/13 peru-glacier-ice-lake-tsunami.
- Davis G. (2007) History of the NOAA Satellite Program, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, 1 (012504), January 27th, available online at www.osd.noaa.gov/download/JRS012504-GD.pdf.
- WMO (2010) Current Geostationary (GEO) Satellites Contributing to the GOS,maintained by the WMO Space Programme on behalf of CGMS, available online at www.wmo.int/pages/prog/sat/GOSgeo.html.
- Kim T.-H. (2010) Space Program Faces Crucial Test this Year, available online at www.ecognition.cc/bbs/dv_rss.asp?s = xhtml&boardid=13&id = 478&page = 1, February 20th.
- Brinton T. (2010 g) White House Dissolves NPOESS Partnership in Blow to Northrop, Space News,February 8th, 5.Google Scholar
- Arnold D. C. (2008) Spying from Space: Constructing America’s Satellite Command and Control Systems(College Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press).Google Scholar
- de Selding P. B. (2010a) Controversy Deepens Over European Weather Satellite Contract, Space News,March 15th, 14–18.Google Scholar
- de Selding P. B. (2010c) Eumetsat Fails to Win Approval for Weather SatelliteGoogle Scholar
- Chesters D. (2009) GEO-NEWS AROUND THE WORLD, online compilation at http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/text/geonews.html,December 14th.