Tools and Resources to Build Advocacy Skills
Your biggest clinical passion has been the care of the vulnerable elderly and Mrs. Evans’ case is very disturbing. You know from treating older patients that many have problems affording their medication, so often they do not take the medications as prescribed or do not fill prescriptions at all, resulting in a worsening of their medical conditions. You know that almost all older Americans have Medicare (including Mrs. Evans), so you want to learn more about what kind of coverage Medicare provides for medications. As you discuss Mrs. Evans’ case with your colleagues, you begin to realize that the “doughnut hole” is a significant barrier to medication adherence and better clinical outcomes in many older patients. You realize you may be able to help Mrs. Evans enroll in a program through the drug manufacturer to obtain her medication for free, but you know that is time consuming and not always available.
KeywordsMedicare Part Kaiser Family Foundation Health Care Issue Prescription Drug Coverage Dear Colleague
- 1.A “wiki” is “a web site that allows visitors to make changes, contributions, or corrections.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wiki (accessed Dec. 19, 2010).
- 2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Part_D (accessed Sept. 5, 2010).
- 4.Bernstein, P. Wikipedia and Britannica. Info Today. 2006;14(3):16.Google Scholar
- 5.http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/press-center/info-03-2009/aarp_rx_testimony.html (accessed Sept. 12, 2010).
- 6.www.kff.org (accessed Sept. 28, 2010).
- 7.http://thomas.loc.gov (accessed Sept. 12, 2010).
- 9.Yoffe E, Am I the next Jack Abramoff? In which I discover that any idiot – even me – can be a Washington lobbyist. www.slate.com/id/2137886/, April 2, 2006 (accessed 9/20/10).
- 11.http://www.kaiseredu.org/fellowships/default.aspx (accessed Sept. 5, 2010).
- 12.www.healthpolicyfellows.org (accessed Sept. 5, 2010).