developing a mission and designing a spacecraft and/or instruments to operate within the constraints of that mission to characterize a target remote from the investigator in the context of its surrounding environment.
using instrument(s) to detect, acquire, and calibrate data from selected regions of the electromagnetic spectrum being produced at the target.
transmitting data collected and encoded on an electromagnetic carrier signal, then receiving and decoding the signal at the investigator’s location, requiring knowledge of the spacecraft position and instrument orientation relative to the target.
analyzing and interpreting data potentially involving statistical analysis, mapping, and field work as well as sample analysis to provide ground truth or reference.
archiving and managing the data thus obtained for scientific and public users.
KeywordsRemote Sensing Black Body Radiation Deep Space Spacecraft Position Functional Definition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Byers, B., Destination Moon: A History of the Lunar Orbiter Program, NASA-TM-3487, http://history.nasa.gov/series95.htm1, 1977. Google Scholar
- Campbell, J., Introduction to Remote Sensing, 4th Edition, Guilford Press, 626 p., 2006. Google Scholar
- Coe, B., Colour Photography: the first hundred years 1840-1940, Ash & Grant, 1978. Google Scholar
- Compton, W.D., Where no Man has gone Before: A History of Apollo Lunar Exploration Missions, NASA SP-4214, http://history.nasa.gov/series95.html, 1989. Google Scholar
- Crawford, D., Photography and Astronomy, A marriage made in heaven. Nature Photographers Online Magazine, http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1003/dc1003-1.html, 2007. Google Scholar
- Elachi, C and A. van Zyl, Introduction to the Physics and Techniques of Remote Sensing, 2nd Edition, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 413 p., 2006. Google Scholar
- Hacker, B. C., and J. M. Grimwood, On Shoulders of Titans: A History of Project Gemini., NASA SP-4203, http://history.nasa.gov/series95.html, 2002. Google Scholar
- Hall, R. C., Lunar Impact: A history of Project Ranger, NASA SP-4210, 1977.International Council on Systems Engineering, Systems Engineering Handbook, 1998. Google Scholar
- Jensen, J., Remote Sensing of the Environment: An Earth Resource Perspective, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall, New York, 608 p., 2006. Google Scholar
- Kossiakoff, A. and W.N. Sweet, Systems Engineering: Principles and Practice, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 463 p., 2003. Google Scholar
- Launius, R. and D. Jenkins, To reach the high frontier: A history of US Space Vehicles, University Press of Kentucky, 519 p., 2002. Google Scholar
- Leggat, R., A History of Photography, http://www.rleggat.com/ photohistory/, 1995. Google Scholar
- Lillesand, R., R. Kiefer, and J. Chipman, Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation, Wiley, New York, 784 p., 2003. Google Scholar
- NASA Chief Engineers Office, NPR 7120.5, 2007. Google Scholar
- NASA Chief Engineers Office, NPR 7123.1, 2008. Google Scholar
- Siegal, B. and A. Gillespie, Remote Sensing in Geology, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 702 p., 1980. Google Scholar
- Sabins, F., Remote Sensing: Principles and Interpretation, Edition, Freeman, San Francisco, 432 p., 1996. Google Scholar
- Short, N., The remote sensing tutorial (rst), http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/, 2007. Google Scholar
- Simoni, R., R. Hill, M. Vaughan, H. Tabor, A classic Instrument: The Beckman DU Spectrophotometer and is inventor. J. Biol. Chem., 278, 49, 1, 2003 Google Scholar
- Swenson, L.S.., J. M. Grimwood, and C. C. Alexander, This New Ocean: A History of Project Mercury. NASA SP-4201, http://history. nasa.gov/series95.html, 1999. Google Scholar
- Wood, The origin of the Solar System, in The New Solar System, Beatty, Peterson, Chaikin Eds, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 13-22, 1999. Google Scholar