Network Monitoring in the age of the Cloud
Network virtualization plays a relevant role in provisioning an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), implementing the fabric that interconnects virtual components. We identify the standard protocol IEEE802.1Q, that describes Virtual LAN (VLAN) functionalities, as a cornerstone in this architecture.
We distinguish two aspects of virtual networking: one related to the user of the virtual connectivity, the other related to the provider that implements virtual connectivity. We describe these aspects, and put them into relation with commercial products considered typical: Amazon EC2 and VMware.
Next we devise network monitoring features that are appropriate in the user and in the provider environments. It turns out that there are significant differences between the two, and we conclude with directions for future research in the field.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Network Monitoring Network Interface Card Virtual Interface IaaS Provider
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Open cloud computing interface (OCCI) WG charter, March 2009.Google Scholar
- 2.Amazon Web Services LLC. Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud - Getting Started Guide, 2009.Google Scholar
- 3.CISCO Systems. Overview of Routing between Virtual LANs.Google Scholar
- 4.CISCO Systems. Understanding VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP).Google Scholar
- 5.IEEE Computer Society. IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks – Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks, 2005.Google Scholar
- 6.IEEE Computer Society. IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks – Link Aggregation, 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.Radia Perlman. An algorithm for distributed computation of a spanningtree in an extended LAN. SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev., 15(4):44–53, 1985.Google Scholar
- 8.Jeremy Sugerman, Ayalvadi J. Venkitachalam, Ganesh, and Beng-Hong Lim. Virtualizing I/O devices on VMware workstation’s hosted virtual machine monitor. In USENIX Annual Technical Conference, page 14, Boston, june 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.Michael D. Johas Teener and Geoffrey M. Garner. Overview and timing performance of IEEE 802.1AS. In International IEEE Symposium on Precision Clock Synchronization for Measurement, Control and Communication (ISPCS), pages 22–26, Ann Arbor (MI), September 2008.Google Scholar
- 10.VMware. VMware Virtual Networking Concepts.Google Scholar