Early Culture and Medicine to 1895 and the Creation of the MGH
There is no certainty as to the origins of medicine. Well before recorded history, there was surely a wide spectrum of shamans with their sacred herbs and diverse procedures to relieve symptoms and make the “patients” more comfortable with their situation.
KeywordsEurope Pneumonia Influenza Income Sewage
- 1.Adler R. Medical firsts: from Hippocrates to the human genome. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley; 2004.Google Scholar
- 3.Bender G. Great moments in medicine. Detroit, MI: Parke Davis; 1961.Google Scholar
- 4.Bowditch N. A history of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Boston, MA: John Wilson & Son; 1851.Google Scholar
- 5.Broad Street Pump. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:John_Snow_memorial_and_pub.jgp. Accessed on 2009.
- 6.Camac CN. Classics of medicine and surgery. New York, NY: Dover; 1959.Google Scholar
- 8.Conard NJ. Tubingen University Museum. With permission.Google Scholar
- 9.Del Regato JA. Radiological physicists. New York, NY: American Institute of Physics; 1985. With permission.Google Scholar
- 10.Dodson JL. A century of oncology. Greenwich, CT: Greenwich Press; 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.Eaton LK. New England Hospitals. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press; 1957.Google Scholar
- 12.Ebers Papyrus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebers_Papyrus. Accessed on 2009.
- 13.Estes JW. The medical skills of ancient Egypt. Canton, MA: Science History Publications; 1989.Google Scholar
- 14.Fenster JM. Ether day: the strange tale of America’s greatest medical discovery and the haunted men who made it. New York, NY: Harper Collins; 2001.Google Scholar
- 15.Gagliardi R, Wilson JF. A history of radiological sciences: radiation oncology. Reston, VA: Radiology Centennial; 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.Garland J. Every man our neighbor: a brief history of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Co.; 1961.Google Scholar
- 17.Garrison F. An introduction to the history of medicine. Philadelphia, PA; WB Saunders; 1929.Google Scholar
- 18.Gerteis M. The Massachusetts General Hospital, 1810–1865: an essay on the political construction of social responsibility during New England’s early industrialization. Boston, MA: Tufts University; 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.Goodman LS, Wintrobe MM, Dameshek W, Goodman MJ, Gilman A, McLennan MT. Landmark article Sept. 21, 1946: nitrogen mustard therapy. Use of methyl-bis(beta-chloroethyl)amine hydrochloride and tris(beta-chloroethyl)amine hydrochloride for Hodgkin’s disease, lymphosarcoma, leukemia and certain allied and miscellaneous disorders. JAMA. 1984;251(17):2255–61.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Harvard Medical School Countway Library. Center for the History of Medicine. Harvard Medical School. Harvard Medical School Buildings and Grounds, Early Locations. Images, ca. 1824–1975: Finding Aid. October 2004. Available at http://oasis.lib.harvard.edu/oasis/deliver/~med00018. Accessed on 2009.
- 21.Holmes OW. The contagiousness of puerperal fever. N Engl Q J Med Surg. 1843;1:503–30.Google Scholar
- 22.Kirker H. The architecture of Charles Bulfinch. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1969.Google Scholar
- 23.Manjo G. The healing hand. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1975.Google Scholar
- 24.Massachusetts General Hospital Archives 2005–2008.Google Scholar
- 25.MGH. Massachusetts General Hospital Memorial and Historical Volume (together with proceedings of the centennial of the opening of the Hospital.) Boston, MA: Griffith-Stillings Press; 1921.Google Scholar
- 26.Myers GW. History of the Massachusetts General Hospital: June 1872–December 1900. Boston, MA: Griffith-Stillings Press; 1929.Google Scholar
- 28.Pearson Education, Inc. Death rates by cause of death, 1900–2005. Information PleaseR Database. 2007. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922292.html. Accessed on 2009.
- 29.Philadelphia Tablet. Cuneiform Writing at the Philadelphia Museum of Archeology and Anthropology. With permission 2010.Google Scholar
- 30.Reed W. A memoir of the Reverend John Bartlett. Boston, MA: The Merrymount Press; 1936.Google Scholar
- 31.Reichen C. A history of physics. New York, NY: Hawthorne Books; 1963.Google Scholar
- 32.Roentgen WC. On a new kind of rays: translation of a paper read before the Würzburg Physical and Medical Society. Nature. 1895;53:274–6.Google Scholar
- 33.Ruiz A. The spirit of ancient Egypt. New York, NY: Algora Publishing; 2001.Google Scholar
- 34.Seurat G. A Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.1885. Chicago Institute of Art. With permission.Google Scholar
- 35.St. Bartholomew Hospital. http://www.hiddenlondon.com/stbartsmus.htm. Accessed on 2009.
- 36.Sri Lanka Hospitals. Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital. Accessed on 2009.
- 37.Sumerian Medical Text. Museum of the University of Pennsylvania. With permission 2010.Google Scholar
- 38.Time line for Humans. Life expectancy from pre-historic era to present. Wikipedia. Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Life_expectancy_over_human_history. Accessed on 2009.
- 39.Thompson J, Goldin G. The hospital: a social and architectural history. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press; 1975.Google Scholar
- 40.U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, Historical Statistics of the United States. Life Expectancy by age, 1850–2004. Information Please® Database. 2007. Available at http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html. Accessed on 2009.
- 41.Van de Velde H. Abstract Plant Composition. Stichting Kröller-Müller Museum. Otterlo. NK. With permission 2010.Google Scholar
- 42.Viets HR. A brief history of medicine in Massachusetts. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin; 1930.Google Scholar
- 43.Wangensteen OH, Wangensteen SD. The rise of surgery. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press; 1978.Google Scholar
- 44.Warren JM. Surgical observations on tumours, with cases and operations. Boston, MA: Crocker & Brewster; 1837.Google Scholar
- 45.Washburn F. The Massachusetts General Hospital: its development, 1900–1935. Cambridge, MA: Houghton Mifflin Riverside Press; 1939.Google Scholar