Early Culture and Medicine to 1895 and the Creation of the MGH
There is no certainty as to the origins of medicine. Well before recorded history, there was surely a wide spectrum of shamans with their sacred herbs and diverse procedures to relieve symptoms and make the “patients” more comfortable with their situation.
KeywordsHarvard Medical School Massachusetts General Hospital Puerperal Fever Sulfuric Ether Effective Medicine
- 1.Adler R. Medical firsts: from Hippocrates to the human genome. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley; 2004.Google Scholar
- 3.Bender G. Great moments in medicine. Detroit, MI: Parke Davis; 1961.Google Scholar
- 4.Bowditch N. A history of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Boston, MA: John Wilson & Son; 1851.Google Scholar
- 5.Broad Street Pump. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:John_Snow_memorial_and_pub.jgp. Accessed on 2009.
- 6.Camac CN. Classics of medicine and surgery. New York, NY: Dover; 1959.Google Scholar
- 8.Conard NJ. Tubingen University Museum. With permission.Google Scholar
- 9.Del Regato JA. Radiological physicists. New York, NY: American Institute of Physics; 1985. With permission.Google Scholar
- 10.Dodson JL. A century of oncology. Greenwich, CT: Greenwich Press; 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.Eaton LK. New England Hospitals. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press; 1957.Google Scholar
- 12.Ebers Papyrus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebers_Papyrus. Accessed on 2009.
- 13.Estes JW. The medical skills of ancient Egypt. Canton, MA: Science History Publications; 1989.Google Scholar
- 14.Fenster JM. Ether day: the strange tale of America’s greatest medical discovery and the haunted men who made it. New York, NY: Harper Collins; 2001.Google Scholar
- 15.Gagliardi R, Wilson JF. A history of radiological sciences: radiation oncology. Reston, VA: Radiology Centennial; 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.Garland J. Every man our neighbor: a brief history of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Co.; 1961.Google Scholar
- 17.Garrison F. An introduction to the history of medicine. Philadelphia, PA; WB Saunders; 1929.Google Scholar
- 18.Gerteis M. The Massachusetts General Hospital, 1810–1865: an essay on the political construction of social responsibility during New England’s early industrialization. Boston, MA: Tufts University; 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.Goodman LS, Wintrobe MM, Dameshek W, Goodman MJ, Gilman A, McLennan MT. Landmark article Sept. 21, 1946: nitrogen mustard therapy. Use of methyl-bis(beta-chloroethyl)amine hydrochloride and tris(beta-chloroethyl)amine hydrochloride for Hodgkin’s disease, lymphosarcoma, leukemia and certain allied and miscellaneous disorders. JAMA. 1984;251(17):2255–61.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Harvard Medical School Countway Library. Center for the History of Medicine. Harvard Medical School. Harvard Medical School Buildings and Grounds, Early Locations. Images, ca. 1824–1975: Finding Aid. October 2004. Available at http://oasis.lib.harvard.edu/oasis/deliver/~med00018. Accessed on 2009.
- 21.Holmes OW. The contagiousness of puerperal fever. N Engl Q J Med Surg. 1843;1:503–30.Google Scholar
- 22.Kirker H. The architecture of Charles Bulfinch. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1969.Google Scholar
- 23.Manjo G. The healing hand. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1975.Google Scholar
- 24.Massachusetts General Hospital Archives 2005–2008.Google Scholar
- 25.MGH. Massachusetts General Hospital Memorial and Historical Volume (together with proceedings of the centennial of the opening of the Hospital.) Boston, MA: Griffith-Stillings Press; 1921.Google Scholar
- 26.Myers GW. History of the Massachusetts General Hospital: June 1872–December 1900. Boston, MA: Griffith-Stillings Press; 1929.Google Scholar
- 28.Pearson Education, Inc. Death rates by cause of death, 1900–2005. Information PleaseR Database. 2007. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922292.html. Accessed on 2009.
- 29.Philadelphia Tablet. Cuneiform Writing at the Philadelphia Museum of Archeology and Anthropology. With permission 2010.Google Scholar
- 30.Reed W. A memoir of the Reverend John Bartlett. Boston, MA: The Merrymount Press; 1936.Google Scholar
- 31.Reichen C. A history of physics. New York, NY: Hawthorne Books; 1963.Google Scholar
- 32.Roentgen WC. On a new kind of rays: translation of a paper read before the Würzburg Physical and Medical Society. Nature. 1895;53:274–6.Google Scholar
- 33.Ruiz A. The spirit of ancient Egypt. New York, NY: Algora Publishing; 2001.Google Scholar
- 34.Seurat G. A Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.1885. Chicago Institute of Art. With permission.Google Scholar
- 35.St. Bartholomew Hospital. http://www.hiddenlondon.com/stbartsmus.htm. Accessed on 2009.
- 36.Sri Lanka Hospitals. Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital. Accessed on 2009.
- 37.Sumerian Medical Text. Museum of the University of Pennsylvania. With permission 2010.Google Scholar
- 38.Time line for Humans. Life expectancy from pre-historic era to present. Wikipedia. Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Life_expectancy_over_human_history. Accessed on 2009.
- 39.Thompson J, Goldin G. The hospital: a social and architectural history. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press; 1975.Google Scholar
- 40.U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, Historical Statistics of the United States. Life Expectancy by age, 1850–2004. Information Please® Database. 2007. Available at http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html. Accessed on 2009.
- 41.Van de Velde H. Abstract Plant Composition. Stichting Kröller-Müller Museum. Otterlo. NK. With permission 2010.Google Scholar
- 42.Viets HR. A brief history of medicine in Massachusetts. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin; 1930.Google Scholar
- 43.Wangensteen OH, Wangensteen SD. The rise of surgery. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press; 1978.Google Scholar
- 44.Warren JM. Surgical observations on tumours, with cases and operations. Boston, MA: Crocker & Brewster; 1837.Google Scholar
- 45.Washburn F. The Massachusetts General Hospital: its development, 1900–1935. Cambridge, MA: Houghton Mifflin Riverside Press; 1939.Google Scholar