Research in Sports Statistics
This chapter investigates the role that statistics plays in knowledge creation. While many of these techniques have stood the test of time, some have undergone intense scrutiny while others have experienced transformative processes. All the while we must ask ourselves, are we really measuring what we think we are measuring? This chapter will help to make that distinction.
KeywordsMajor League Baseball Player Performance Professional Baseball National League Offensive Line
- Albert, J. 1997. An Introduction to Sabermetrics. Retrieved Jan 30, 2008, from http://www-math.bgsu.edu/∼albert/papers/saber.html.Google Scholar
- Baseball Info Solutions 2003. The Bill James Handbook. ACTA Publications, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Beech, R. 2008b. NBA Player Shot Zones. Retrieved Jan 30, 2008, from http://www.82games.com/shotzones.htm.
- Carroll, B. & P. Palmer, et al. 1998. The Hidden Game of Football: The Next Edition. Total Sports Inc., New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Coleman, J. & A. Lynch 2008. Score Card Rankings for 2008. Retrieved Jan 30, 2008, from http://www.unf.edu/∼jcoleman/score.htm.Google Scholar
- Coleman, J. & A. Lynch 2009. Dance Card Rankings for 2009. Retrieved Sept 21, 2009, from http://www.unf.edu/∼jcoleman/dance.htm.Google Scholar
- Cox, A. & J. Stasko 2002. SportsVis: Discovering Meaning in Sports Statistics Through Information Visualization. IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization, Baltimore, Maryland.Google Scholar
- CricInfo 2008. Wisden. Retrieved June 19, 2008, from http://content-www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/current/story/almanack/.
- Dvorak, J. & A. Junge, et al. 2000. Risk Factor Analysis for Injuries in Football Players: Possibilities for a Prevention Program. The American Journal of Sports Medicine 28(5): 69–74.Google Scholar
- Fetter, H. 2003. Taking on the Yankees – Winning and Losing in the Business of Baseball – 1903–2003. W.W. Norton & Co., New York.Google Scholar
- Flinders, K. 2002. Football Injuries are Rocket Science. Vnunet.com. London.Google Scholar
- Hollinger, J. 2002. Pro Basketball Prospectus: 2002 Edition. Brassey’s Inc., Dulles, VA.Google Scholar
- Hopkins, W. & S. Marshall, et al. 2007. Risk Factors and Risk Statistics for Sports Injuries. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine 17(3): 208–210.Google Scholar
- Ilardi, S. 2007. Adjusted Plus-Minus: An Idea Whose Time Has Come. Retrieved Sept 25, 2008, from http://www.82games.com/ilardi1.htm.
- James, B. 1979. The Bill James Baseball Abstract. Self Published.Google Scholar
- James, B. 1982. The Bill James Baseball Abstract. Ballantine Books, New York.Google Scholar
- James, B. & J. Henzler 2002. Win Shares. STATS Publishing, Morton Grove, IL.Google Scholar
- Lewis, M. 2003. Moneyball. W.W. Norton & Company, New York.Google Scholar
- MIT Sloan Alumni Profile 2008. Daryl Morey, MBA ‘00. Retrieved Jan 30, 2008, from http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/alumni/morey.php.
- Papahristoulou, C. 2006. Team Performance in UEFA Champions League 2005–2006. MRPA Paper No. 138.Google Scholar
- Pelton, D. 2005. The Sonics Play Moneyball: Part One. Retrieved Jan 30, 2008, from http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/moneyball050119.html.
- Rosenbaum, D. 2004. Measuring How NBA Players Help Their Teams. Retrieved Jan 30, 2008, from http://www.82games.com/comm30.htm.
- Rosenbaum, D. 2005. A Statistical Holy Grail: The Search for the Winner Within. The New York Times.Google Scholar
- SAS 2005. A Method to March Madness. Retrieved Jan 30, 2008, from http://www.sas.com/news/feature/01mar05/dancecard.html.
- Schatz, A. 2006. Pro Football Prospectus 2006: Statistics, Analysis, and Insight for the Information Age. Workman Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Schell, M. J. 1999. Baseball’s All-Time Best Hitters: How Statistics Can Level the Playing Field. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.Google Scholar
- Sinins, L. 2007. Complete Baseball Encyclopedia: Version 8.0.Google Scholar
- Taggart, S. 1998. Olympic Data Crunching. Retrieved Feb 6, 2008, from http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/1998/08/14175.
- The New York Times Staff 2004. The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge: A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind. St. Martin’s Press, New York.Google Scholar
- USA Today 2008. Jeff Sagarin NCAA Basketball Ratings. Retrieved Sept 27, 2008, from http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0708.htm.
- Voigt, D. 1969. America’s First Red Scare – The Cincinnati Reds of 1869. Ohio History 78: 13–24.Google Scholar
- Woolner, K. 2006. Why is Mario Mendoza So Important? In Baseball Between the Numbers, J. Keri. Basic Books, New York.Google Scholar