Data Sources for Sports
Data, the life-blood of modern sport analysis, has undergone its own revolution. It used to be that data was simply viewed as a record of the game’s events that was kept either by the organizations or the responsible leagues for historical purposes. That data became transformed into a condensed form to provide a brief recap of the game’s events through a newspaper boxscore. It wasn’t until many years later that publishing of data became cheap enough to fill a growing niche of interest. Game data was then expanded upon with comparisons made across different sets. This activity led to refinement as new ideas were introduced of what data should be captured. Then with the advent of the Internet revolution, data rose to the height of accessibility, where sport-related data could be found easily and quickly, oftentimes in searchable form.
KeywordsProfessional Society Fantasy Sport American Sport Game Data Historical Purpose
- 82games.com 2008. A Visitor’s Guide to 82games.com. Retrieved Feb 20, 2008, from http://82games.com/newuser.htm.
- Arnovitz, K. 2009. Stephen Curry, Blake Griffin, and Hasheem Thabeet: Inside the Numbers. Retrieved Aug 31, 2009, from http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-131/Stephen-Curry--Blake-Griffin--and-Hasheem-Thabeet--Inside-the-Numbers.html.
- Baseball-Reference.com 2008. Baseball-Reference. Retrieved Feb 20, 2008, from http://www.baseball-reference.com/.
- Birnbaum, P. 2008. Sabermetrics. Retrieved Feb 16, 2008, from http://philbirnbaum.com/.
- Colston, C. 2009. In Playoffs, Crunching Picks, Crunching Numbers. USA Today. 8C.Google Scholar
- CricInfo 2008. Wisden. Retrieved June 19, 2008, from http://content-www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/current/story/almanack/.
- International Association for Sports Information 2008. About IASI. Retrieved Feb 16, 2008, from http://www.iasi.org/about/index.html.
- International Association on Computer Science in Sport 2008. IACSS – Objectives. Retrieved Feb 16, 2008, from http://www.iacss.org/iacss/iacss_obj.html.
- Match Analysis 2009. Video Editing, Data Collection, and Statistics for Soccer (Football). Retrieved Aug 31, 2009.Google Scholar
- Pro-Football-Reference.com 2008. Pro-Football-Reference. Retrieved Feb 20, 2008, from http://www.pro-football-reference.com/.
- Society for American Baseball Research 2008. About SABR. Retrieved Feb 16, 2008, from http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?a=cms,c,110,39,156.
- Solieman, O. 2006. Data Mining in Sports: A Research Overview. Dept. of Management Information Systems. The University of Arizona. Tucson.Google Scholar
- The Association for Professional Basketball Research 2008. APBR.org. Retrieved Feb 16, 2008, from http://apbr.org.