Electronic systems consist of a lot of semiconductor devices, such as digital processor, memory, and RF IC. These active devices require a stable DC supply voltage, to within a certain percentage of ideal supply voltage, to ensure proper operation of logic and input/output (I/O) interface circuits. The power distribution system (PDS) must provide this steady voltage in the presence of very large DC and AC current demands. The resistive nature of on-chip wires and the inductance inherent in most packaging elements make this a difficult problem. Power integrity design is to design a power distribution system of electronic system to provide a small voltage fluctuation, power supply noise, in order to make an electronic system operation stable.
KeywordsPrint Circuit Board Power Supply Voltage Ring Oscillator Power Distribution System Power Supply Noise
- 1.M. Popovich, A.V. Mezhiba, and E.G. Friedman, “Power Distribution Networks with On-Chip Decoupling Capacitors,” Springer (2008).Google Scholar
- 2.S.H. Hall, and H.L. Heck, “Advanced Signal Integrity for High-Speed Digital Designs,” WILEY (2009).Google Scholar
- 3.E.G. Friedman, “Clock Distribution Design in VLSI Circuits—An Overview,” ISCAS 1993, Chicago, Illinois, USA, Vol. 3, pp. 1475–1478 (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.J.P. Eckhardt, and K.A. Jenkins, “PLL Phase Error and Power Supply Noise [microprocessors],” Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, 1998, West Point, NY, USA, pp. 73–76 (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Saint-Laurent, and M. Swaminathan, “Impact of Power-Supply Noise on Timing in High-Frequency Microprocessors,” Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, 2002, Monterey, CA, USA, pp. 261–264 (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, 2001 Edition, Semiconductor Industry Association, http://public.itrs.net (2001), accessed on Oct 1, 2006.
- 7.R. Islam, A. Sabbavarapu, and R. Patel, “Power reduction schemes in next generation Intel(R) ATOM(TM) processor based sOc for handheld applications,” Proc. of VLSIC 2010, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, pp.173–174 (2010).Google Scholar
- 8.“Intel and Core i7 (Nehalem) Dynamic Power Management”, http://cs466.andersonje.com/public/pm.pdf, accessed on Oct 11, 2010.
- 9.T. Lin, K.-S. Chong, B.-H. Gwee, and J.S. Chang, “Fine-grained power gating for leakage and short-circuit power reduction by using asynchronous-logic,” ISCAS 2009, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 3162–3165 (2009).Google Scholar
- 10.Data Sheet of 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM, E1494E60 (Version 6.0), Elpida, December 2009 (K) Japan (2009).Google Scholar
- 11.L. Smith, “Frequency Domain Target Impedance Method for Bypass Capacitor Selection for Power Distribution Systems,” DesignCon 2006, Santa Clara, California, USA, http://si-list.net/files/designcon_2006/DC06_PDN-design_panel-slides.pdf, accessed on Oct 10, 2010 (2006).
- 13.R. Schmitt, H. Xuejue, Y. Ling, and Y. Xingchao, “Modeling and Hardware Correlation of Power Distribution Networks for Multi-gigabit Designs,” Proceedings of 54th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2004. Vol. 2, pp. 1759–1765 (2004).Google Scholar
- 14.R. Schmitt, L. Hai, C. Madden, and Y. Chuck, “Investigating the Impact of Supply Noise on the Jitter in Gigabit I/O Interfaces,” Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, 2007, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, pp. 189–192 (2007).Google Scholar
- 15.R. Schmitt, K. Joong-Ho, and Y. Chuck, “Frequency-Domain Figures-of-Merit for the Design of Interface Supply Networks,” IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility 2006, Vol. 2, pp. 383–388 (2006).Google Scholar
- 16.R. Schmitt, K. Joong-Ho, D. Oh, and C. Yuan, “Power Delivery Design for 800 MHz DDR2 Memory Systems in Low-Cost Wire-Bond Packages,” Proceedings of Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2006, San Diego, CA, USA, (2006).Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Uematsu, H. Osaka, Y. Nishio, and S. Hatano, “A Method for Measuring V ref Noise Tolerance of DDR2-SDRAM on Test Board Simulating Actual Memory Module,” Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, 2007, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, pp. 11–14 (2007).Google Scholar
- 18.W.J. Dally, and J.W. Poulton, “Digital Systems Engineering,” Cambridge (1998).Google Scholar
- 19.I. Novak, S. Pannala, and J.R. Miller, “Overview of Some Options to Create Low-Q Controlled-ESR Bypass Capacitors,” IEEE 13th Topical Meeting on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, 2004, Portland, Oregon, USA, pp. 55–58 (2004).Google Scholar
- 20.I. Novak, “Power Distribution Network Design Methodologies,” International Engineering Consortium (2008).Google Scholar
- 21.W. Kim, and P. Harper, “Estimation of Simultaneous Switching Noise from the Power Distribution Network Impedance in LPDDR2 Systems,” DesignCon 2010, Santa Clara, California, USA, http://www.designcon.com/2010/DCPDFs/10-TA1_Woopoung_Kim.pdf, accessed on Oct 10, 2010 (2010).
- 22.K. Inagaki, D.D. Antono, M. Takamiya, S. Kumashiro, and T. Sakurai, “A 1-ps Resolution On-Chip Sampling Oscilloscope with 64:1 Tunable Sampling Range Based on Ramp Waveform Division Scheme,” Digest of Technical Papers of 2006 Symposium on VLSI Circuits 2006, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, pp. 61–62 (2006).Google Scholar
- 24.Y. Uematsu, H. Osaka, E. Suzuki, M. Yagyu, and T. Saito, “Measurement Techniques for On-Chip Power Supply Noise Waveforms Based on Fluctuated Sampling Delays in Inverter Chain Circuits,” Proceedings of Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging 2008, San Jose, California, USA, pp. 69–72 (2008).Google Scholar
- 25.A. Waizman, M. Livshitz, and M. Sotman, “Integrated Power Supply Frequency Domain Impedance Meter (IFDIM),” Proceedings of IEEE 13th Topical Meeting on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, Portland, Oregon, USA, pp. 217–220 (2004).Google Scholar
- 26.Y. Uematsu, H. Osaka, M. Yagyu, and T. Saito, “Modeling of Chip-Package Resonance in Power Distribution Networks by an Impulse Response,” Proceedings of IEEE 14th Workshop on Signal Propagation on Interconnects (SPI) 2010, Hildesheim, Germany, pp. 15–18 (2010).Google Scholar