Enterprise Knowledge Clouds: Architecture and Technologies
This chapter outlines the architectural foundations of Enterprise Knowledge Clouds (EKC) (Delic & Riley, describing the underlying technological fabrics and then pointing at the key capabilities of the (hypothetical) intelligent enterprise operating in constantly evolving, dynamic market conditions. Our aim is to give readers of this chapter a better understanding of knowledge cloud architectural aims and practical insights into EKC technological components. Thanks to knowledge, the enterprise will know more, will act better and react sooner in changing environment conditions, ultimately improving its performance and enabling it to show better behaviour and measurable improvements.
KeywordsCloud Computing Business Enterprise Enterprise Architecture Public Cloud Private Cloud
- Armbrust, M., Fox, A., Griffith, R., Joseph, A. D., Katz, R. H., Konwinski, A., Lee, G., Patterson, D. A., Rabkin, A., Stoica, I., & Zaharia, M. (2009). Above the clouds: A Berkeley view of cloud computing (University of California, Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/EECS-2009-28).Google Scholar
- Cannataro, M., & Talia, D. (2003). The knowledge grids. Communications of the ACM, 46(1), 89–93.Google Scholar
- Casati, F., Castellanos, M., Chan, P. K., Dayal, U., Delic, K. A., Greene, W. M., et al. (2004). Enterprise management analytics. Proceedings of the Eleventh OpenView University Association Workshop (OVUA04), Paris, France.Google Scholar
- Cerri, D., Valle, E. D., Marcos, D. D. F., Giunchiglia, F., Naor, D., Nixon, L., Teymourian, K., Obermeier, P., Rebholz-Schuhmann, D., Krummenacher, R., & Simperl, E. (August 2008). Towards knowledge in the cloud (Tech. Rep. DISI-08-30, University of Trento, Italy).Google Scholar
- CLOUDSCAPE (October 2009). The 451 group and Tier1 research. The cloud codex, CLOUDSCAPE. Available from: http://www.the451group.com/cloudscape/451_cloudscape.php.
- Delic, K. A. (2002a). Enterprise IT complexity. ACM Ubiquity, 2002(Issue January). Available from: http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/k_delic_1.html.
- Delic, K. A. (2002b). Enterprise models, strategic transformations and possible solutions. ACM Ubiquity, 2002(Issue July). Available from: http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/k_delic_2.html.
- Delic, K. A. (2003). IT Services = People + Tools + Processes. ACM Ubiquity, 4(37). Available from: http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/v4i37_delic.html.
- Delic, K. A. (2005). Science and engineering of large-scale complex systems. ACM Ubiquity, 2005(Issue March). Available from: http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/v6i8_delic.html.
- Delic, K. A., & Dayal, U. (2002). The rise of the intelligent enterprise. ACM Ubiquity, 2002(Issue December). Available from: http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/k_delic_4.pdf.
- Delic, K. A., & Dayal, U. (2004). Adaptation in large-scale enterprise systems: Research and challenges. ACM Ubiquity, 2004(Issue August). Available from: http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/v5i23_delic.html.
- Delic, K. A., & Fulgham, M. T. (2004). Corporate innovation engines: Tools and processes. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Practical Aspects of Knowledge Management (PAKM2004), Vienna, Austria, 220–226 .Google Scholar
- Delic, K. A., & Greene, W. M. (2006). Emerging sciences of service systems. Proceedings of the R&D Management Conference, New Delhi, 140–144.Google Scholar
- Delic, K. A., & Riley, J. A. (2009). Enterprise knowledge clouds: Next generation KM systems?. Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference Information, Process, and Knowledge Management (eKnow 2009), Cancun, Mexico, 49–53.Google Scholar
- Delic, K. A., & Walker, M. A. (2008). Emergence of the academic computing clouds. ACM Ubiquity, 2008(Issue August). Available from: http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/volume_9/v9i31_delic.html.
- Delic, K. A., Greene, W. M., & Kirsch, H.-J. (2004). Intelligent routing of enterprise IT Events. InfoManagement direct, February 2004, Retrieved March 10, 2010, from http://www.information-management.com/infodirect/20040227/8166-1.html.
- Delic, K. A., Riley, J. A., Bartolini, C., & Salihbegovic, A. (2007). Knowledge-based self-management of apache web servers. Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on Information, Communication and Automation Technologies (ICAT'07), Sarajevo, Bosnia, and Herzegovena.Google Scholar
- International Communication Union ITU (2009). Distributed computing: utilities, grids & clouds (ITU-T Tech. Watch Rep. 9, 2009). Retrieved 10 March 2010, from http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/oth/23/01/T23010000090001PDFE.pdf.
- Sun Microsystems (2009). Introduction to cloud computing architecture. White Paper.Google Scholar
- Zachman, J. (December 1999). Enterprise architecture: The past and the future. Information Management Magazine. Available from: http://www.information-management.com/issues/19991201/1702-1.html.