Oncofertility and Informed Consent: Addressing Beliefs, Values, and Future Decision Making
Imagine every parent’s nightmare… your sweet, vibrant daughter has just been diagnosed with cancer. The doctor is talking to you, but all you hear is “cancer” and all you can think about is the possibility that she may die. Now that the diagnosis is made, the doctor is anxious to begin treatment. He is describing the treatment, its benefits and burdens, and the schedule. Suddenly, though the “c-word” continues to buzz in your ears, you hear the side effects of treatment – hair loss, nausea, fatigue, weight loss, and infertility. “Infertility?! My baby may never be able to have babies?!” You have not yet processed the diagnosis, or come to terms with your child’s mortality, and now this.
KeywordsHuman Papilloma Virus Fertility Preservation Inform Consent Process Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine Ovarian Tissue Cryopreservation
This research was supported by the oncofertility consortium NIH 8UL1DE019587, 5RL1HD058296.
- 1.Schloendorff V. Society of New York Hospitals, 211 N.Y. 2d (1914).Google Scholar
- 2.Kathleen G. Whose future is it? Ethical family decision making in the Oncofertility context. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Oncofertility Summit, Chicago, July 2009.Google Scholar
- 11.American Academy of Pediatrics, Bioethics Committee, Informed Consent, Parental Permission, and Assent in Pediatric Practice, http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/short/pediatrics;95/2/314. Accessed September 24, 2009.
- 14.Laura Bell, What happens to extra embryos after IVF?” CNN.com, http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/01/extra.ivf.embryos/index.html?iref=newssearch. Accessed September 14, 2009.
- 15.BBC News Online, Q&A Frozen sperm, May 25, 2004, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3745085.stm. Accessed September 1, 2009.
- 17.Woodward T. Life on Ice, Newsweek, June 19, 2009. http://www.newsweek.com/id/202819. Accessed September 1, 2009.
- 18.Gurmankin AD, Sisti D, Caplan AL. Embryo disposal practices in IVF clinics in the United States. Politics Life Sci. 2004; 22(2), http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1006&context=bioethics_papers. Accessed September 1, 2009.