Usage of the Open Science Grid
Over the last year, the Open Science Grid usage has seen a substantial increase in CPU usage; from June 2008 to January 2009, the usage went from approximately 6 million wall hours to 14 million wall hours. This increase has come from ramp-up of the WLCG experiments and increased interest from FNAL Run-II experiments. We present the current usage patterns and analyze how increased HEP usage has affected non-HEP usage of the grid. We present various means of measuring the “size” of the Open Science Grid and determining the grid-accessible portion of clusters, and discuss difficulties of performing quantitative measurements in a distributed collaborative environment. Finally, we look forward to future challenges presented by continued growth of the grid, especially with regards to upcoming LHC collisions.
KeywordsGrid Usage Resource Estimation Wall Time Transfer Accounting Storage Accounting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Open Science Grid Council: The Open Science Grid Proposed Program of Work (2006). Available via OSG DocDB: http://osg-docdb.opensciencegrid.org/cgi-bin/RetrieveFile?docid=310. Cited 17 Sept 2009.
- 2.Bockelman, B., Canal, P., Mandrichenko, I., Pordes, R.: OSG Accounting Requirements. (2008). Available via OSG DocDB: http://osg-docdb.opensciencegrid.org/cgi-bin/ShowDocument?docid=736. Cited 17 Sept 2009
- 3.Merino, G.: Transition to a new CPU benchmarking unit for the WLCG. HEPIX Benchmarking WK (2009). Available via CERN Indico: http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?contribId=3&sessionId=0&resId=0&materialId=0&confId=49388. Cited 17 Sept 2009.
- 4.Arunachalam, K., Bockelman, B., Pordes, R., Wuerthwein., F.: OSG Space Accounting/ Storage Requirements for Gratia (2009). Available via OSG DocDB: http://osg-docdb.opensciencegrid.org/cgi-bin/ShowDocument?docid=840. Cited 17 Sept 2009
- 5.Amazon Elastic Computing Cloud (2009). Available via http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/.
- 6.Open Science Grid Executive Board: The Value of the OSG (2008). Available via OSG DocDB: http://osg-docdb.opensciencegrid.org/cgi-bin/ShowDocument?docid=813. Cited 17 Sept 2009.
- 7.Andreozzi, S., et al: GLUE Schema Specification (2007). Available via http://glueschema.forge.cnaf.infn.it/Spec/V13. Cited 17 Sept 2009.