Age and Disability Within the Scope of American Discrimination Law
Age and disability discrimination were not part of the first wave of anti-discrimination laws. Race discrimination was the primary target of that initial wave, with sex discrimination added as an almost embarrassing afterthought.
KeywordsToyota Motor Disability Discrimination Occupational Qualification Race Discrimination Protected Category
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- “About NOW,” available at http://www.now.org/organization/info.html (last visited August 19, 2009).
- ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAA 2008), 110 Pub. L. No. 325, 122 Stat. 3553 (codified in scattered sections of 42 U.S.C. ch. 126).Google Scholar
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. §§ 12101–12213.Google Scholar
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. Current population survey, Table 3. Employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population by age, sex, and race. Available at http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat3.pdf (last visited December 23, 2009).
- Center on Urban & Metropolitan Policy. Racial segregation in the (2000) census: Promising news. Available at http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/census/glaeser.pdf (last visited August 17, 2009).
- Clermont, K. M., & Schwab, S. J. (2009). Employment discrimination plaintiffs in federal court: From bad to worse. Harvard Law and Policy Review, 3, 103–132, at 117 Display 6.Google Scholar
- Cornucopia of Disability Information, available at http://codi.buffalo.edu (last visited August 18, 2009).
- Freeman, J. (1991). How ‘sex’ got into title VII: Persistent opportunism as a maker of public policy. Law and Inequality; A Journal of Theory and Practice, 9(2), 163–184. Available at http://www.jofreeman.com/lawandpolicy/titlevii.htm Google Scholar
- Martinez, S. (2008, October 5). Disabled workers find playing field not level for them. The Seattle Times . available at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008228695_disabledjobs.html (last visited Aug 18, 2009).
- Parrillo, V. N. (2005). Diversity in America (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge Press.Google Scholar
- US Census Bureau. (2002). Special reports, “Racial and ethnic residential segregation in the United States: 1980–2000” issued August 2002. Available at http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/housing_patterns/pdf/front_toc.pdf (last visited August 17, 2009).
- US Census Bureau. State & county quickfacts. Available at http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html (last visited August 19, 2009).
- US Census Bureau. Household data; annual averages. Available at http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat2.pdf (last visited December 23, 2009).
- US Census Bureau. Labor force statistics from the current population survey. Available at http://www.bls.gov/cps/ (last visited August 19, 2009).
- US Census Bureau. Voting and registration in the election of November 2006, at 6. Available at http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-557.pdf (last visited August 19, 2009).
- US Census Bureau News. (2009, May 14). Census bureau estimates nearly half of children under age 5 are minorities. Available at http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/ (last visited August 19, 2009).
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Health, United States, 2008. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus08.pdf#001 (last visited August 18, 2009).
- US Department of Labor. Family and medical leave act. Available at http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/ (last visited August 17, 2009).
- Wall, K. (2008, october 9). Despite criticisms, Palin inspires true feminism. The Daily Cardinal. Available at http://www.dailycardinal.com/ article/20785 (last visited August 18, 2009).
- Warren, K. F. (2008). Encyclopedia of US campaigns, elections, and electoral behavior. Los Angeles: Sage publications, Inc.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011