The chapter examines pathologic findings seen in the human bone marrow. Diagnostic criteria are based on the 2008 WHO classification of hematologic neoplasms. Topics covered include myeloid neoplasms of the bone marrow, including both chronic and acute myeloid leukemias. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia is also covered. Diagnosis of myelodysplastic syndromes and the related myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases are reviewed. Diagnosis of lymphoid disorders that involve the marrow are discussed. Anemias are covered. Finally, non-neoplastic lesions including infections, autoimmune manifestations, and other reactive conditions are covered.
KeywordsBone marrow Leukemia Lymphoma Infection Myeloproliferative neoplasms Myelodysplastic syndromes
I would like to thank William G. Morice, M.D., Ph.D. for his chapter in the previous edition of this book that served as a model for the current version.
- Bellucci S, Michiels JJ. The role of JAK2 V617F mutation, spontaneous erythropoiesis and megakaryocytopoiesis, hypersensitive platelets, activated leukocytes, and endothelial cells in the etiology of thrombotic manifestations in polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2006;32:381-98.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Boveri E, Arcaini L, Merli M, Passamonti F, Rizzi S, Vanelli L, Rumi E, Rattotti S, Lucioni M, Picone C, Castello A, Pascutto C, Magrini U, Lazzarino M, Paulli M. Bone marrow histology in marginal zone B-cell lymphomas: correlation with clinical parameters and flow cytometry in 120 patients. Ann Oncol. 2009;20:129-36.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davis BH, Holden JT, Bene MC, Borowitz MJ, Braylan RC, Cornfield D, Gorczyca W, Lee R, Maiese R, Orfao A, Wells D, Wood BL, Stetler-Stevenson M. 2006 Bethesda International Consensus recommendations on the flow cytometric immunophenotypic analysis of hematolymphoid neoplasia: medical indications. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2007;72 Suppl 1:S5-13.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Della Porta MG, Malcovati L, Boveri E, Travaglino E, Pietra D, Pascutto C, Passamonti F, Invernizzi R, Castello A, Magrini U, Lazzarino M, Cazzola M. Clinical relevance of bone marrow fibrosis and CD34-positive cell clusters in primary myelodysplastic syndromes. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(5):754-62.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J, Vardiman JW (Eds.). World Health Organization Classification of Tumours: Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. IARC Press: Lyon 2008.Google Scholar
- Morice WG, Kurtin PJ, Hodnefield JM, Shanafelt TD, Hoyer JD, Remstein ED, Hanson CA. Predictive value of blood and bone marrow flow cytometry in B-cell lymphoma classification: comparative analysis of flow cytometry and tissue biopsy in 252 patients. Mayo Clin Proc. 2008;83(7):776-85.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Matutes E, Oscier D, Montalban C, Berger F, Callet-Bauchu E, Dogan A, Felman P, Franco V, Iannitto E, Mollejo M, Papadaki T, Remstein ED, Salar A, Solé F, Stamatopoulos K, Thieblemont C, Traverse-Glehen A, Wotherspoon A, Coiffier B, Piris MA. Splenic marginal zone lymphoma proposals for a revision of diagnostic, staging and therapeutic criteria. Leukemia. 2008;22:487-95.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Peterson LC, Agosti SJ, Hoyer JD; Hematology clinical Microscopy Resource Committee; Members of the Cancer Committee, College of American Pathologists. Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with hematopoietic neoplasms of the bone marrow: a basis for checklists. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2002;126:1050-6.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tefferi A, Thiele J, Orazi A, Kvasnicka HM, Barbui T, Hanson CA, Barosi G, Verstovsek S, Birgegard G, Mesa R, Reilly JT, Gisslinger H, Vannucchi AM, Cervantes F, Finazzi G, Hoffman R, Gilliland DG, Bloomfield CD, Vardiman JW. Proposals and rationale for revision of the World Health Organization diagnostic criteria for polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, and primary myelofibrosis: recommendations from an ad hoc international expert panel. Blood. 2007;110:1092-7.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar