Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in Japan
Three critical periods for the development of obesity have been reported: the fetal period; a period of adiposity rebound between ages 4 and 6; and during adolescence (Dietz 1994). The elementary school period is also reported to be a critical period for obesity in Japan; a rapid increase in the prevalence of obesity during the elementary school period was evident in 1989/1990 (Yoshinaga et al. 2004). However, little is known about the characteristics of this rapid increase in Japanese children and adolescents.
KeywordsGross Domestic Product Human Development Index Severe Obesity Total Energy Intake Nutrition Survey
This work was supported by the Foundation of Tanita Healthy Weight Promotion grants 2001 and 2004, the Chiyoda Mutual Life Foundation 2005, Mitsui Life Social Welfare Foundation 2007, and the Health and Labor Sciences Research Grants [Comprehensive Research on Cardiovascular and Life-style Related Diseases (H18-049)].
- Annual Report of School Health Survey (2007). (http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/toukei/001/003/18/07031614/017.xls) (in Japanese) (December 1, 2008).
- GDP Japan (2008). http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E3%81%AE%E5%9B%BD%E5%86%85%E7%B7%8F%E7%94%9F%E7%94%A3%E9%A0%86%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88#.E5.90.8D.E7.9B.AEGDP (December 1, 2008).
- Human Development Index Japan (2008). http://hdrstats.undp.org/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_JPN.html (December 1, 2008).
- Imperial Gift Foundation Boshi-Aiiku-Kai (2008). The National Health and Nutrition Survey in Japan. In: Almanac of Data on Japanese Children. Tokyo: Chuoh Publishing (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Ito, Y., Okuno, A., Murakami, Y., Uchiyama, M., Okada, T., Sakamoto, M. et al. (1996). Infantile standard height and weight curve for assessment of obesity. Journal of Child Health, 55, 752–756 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Japan (2008). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan (December 1, 2008).
- Journal of Health and Welfare Statistics (2007). Journal of Health and Welfare Statistics, 54, 42 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- National Health and Nutrition Survey in Japan (2008a). http://www.mhlw.go.jp/houdou/2008/04/h0430-2.html (in Japanese) (December 1, 2008).
- National Health and Nutrition Survey in Japan (2008b). http://www.mhlw.go.jp/houdou/2006/05/h0508-1a.html (in Japanese) (December 1, 2008).
- Nutrition Survey in Infants (2006). http://www.mhlw.go.jp/houdou/2006/06/h0629-1.html (in Japanese) (December 1, 2008).