Epidemiology and Clinical Profile of Obesity in Children and Adolescents: South-East Asia and Singapore
Since 1980, the prevalence of obesity has more than trebled in many countries. In 2005, it is estimated that globally there are about 1.6 billion overweight adults and at least 400 million of them are obese (WHO Fact Sheet No. 311 2006). Such rapid increase in adult overweight and obesity is a world-wide problem, confined not only to developed countries but is also observed in developing countries. While the prevalence of overweight and obese adults in many Asian and South East Asian countries may be below that in Europe or the United States, the general trend of increasing prevalence is likewise observed.
KeywordsAsian Country Childhood Obesity Poverty Line Exclusive Breastfeed Obese Adolescent
- Berenson, G.S., Srinivasan, S.R., Bao, W., Newman, W.P. 3rd, Tracey, R.E., & Wattigney, W.A. (1998). Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. The Bogalusa Heart Study. The New England Journal of Medicine, 338, 1650–1656.Google Scholar
- Brunt, E.M. (2001). Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: definition and pathology. Seminar in Liver Disease, 21, 3–16.Google Scholar
- Central Intelligence Agency. The World Factbook (2008). Washington DC (February 10, 2009); https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tw.html.
- Chen, W. (1997). Childhood obesity in Taiwan. Zhonghua Min Guo Xiao Er Ke Yi Xue Za Zhi, 38, 438–442.Google Scholar
- Chu, N.F., Rimm, E.B., Wang, D.J., Liou, H.S., & Shieh, S.M. (1998). Clustering of cardiovascular disease risk factors among obese schoolchildren: the Taipei Children Heart Study. American Journal Clinical Nutrition, 67, 1141–1146.Google Scholar
- Cook, S., Weitzman, M., Auinger, P., Nguyen, M., & Dietz, W.H. (2003). Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 157, 821–827.Google Scholar
- Denney-Wilson, E., Hardy, L.L., Dobbins, T., Okely, A.D., & Baur, L.A. (2008). Body Mass Index, waist circumference, and chronic disease risk factors in Australian adolescents. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 162, 566–573.Google Scholar
- Ford, E.S., Giles, W.H., & Dietz, W.H. (2002). Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 287, 356–359.Google Scholar
- Gill, T.P. (2005). Obesity in Asian populations. In P.G. Kopelman, I.D. Caterson & W.H. Dietz (Eds.), Clinical obesity in adults and children (pp. 431–442). Malden: Blackwell Publishing.Google Scholar
- Guillaume, M. (1999). Defining obesity in childhood: current practice. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 70, 126S–130S.Google Scholar
- Hatano, Y., Hua, Z.D., Jiang, L.D., Fu, F.H., Zhi, C.J., & Wei, S.D. (1997). Comparative study of physical fitness of the youth in Asia and their attitude towards sports. Journal of Physical Education and Recreation (Hong Kong), 3, 4–11.Google Scholar
- Himes, J.H., & Dietz, W.H. (1994). Guidelines for overweight in adolescent preventive services: recommendations from an expert committee. The Expert Committee on Clinical Guidelines for Overweight in Adolescent Preventive Services. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 59, 307–316.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ho, T.F. (1987). Childhood obesity in Singapore school children: Epidemiology, anthropometry and selected medical problems (MD Thesis, National University of Singapore, 1987).Google Scholar
- International Association for the Study of Obesity IASO, International Obesity Task Force IOTF (2004). EU childhood obesity “out of control”. IOTF Childhood Obesity Report May 2004. London: IASO International Obesity Task Force.Google Scholar
- International Association for the Study of Obesity IASO, International Obesity Task Force IOTF (2008a). Global childhood overweight. London (October 2008); http://www.iotf.org/database/index.asp.
- International Association for the Study of Obesity IASO, International Obesity Task Force IOTF (2008b). Global obesity prevalence in adults. London (December 2008); http://www.iotf.org/database/index.asp.
- Kearney, M.H., & Cronenwett, L. (1991). Breastfeeding and employment. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing, 20, 471–480.Google Scholar
- Khor, G.L. (2003). Update on the prevalence of malnutrition among children in Asia. Nepal Medical College Journal, 5, 13–22.Google Scholar
- Kim, H.M., Park, J., Kim, H.S., Kim, D.H., & Park, S.H. (2006). Obesity and cardiovascular risk factors in Korean children and adolescents aged 10–18 years from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1998 and 2001. American Journal of Epidemiology, 164, 787–793.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Labarere, J., Gelbert-Baudino, N., Ayral, A.S., Duc, C., Berchotteau, M., Bouchon, N., Schelstraete, C., Vittoz, J.P., Francois, P., & Pons, J.C. (2005). Efficacy of breastfeeding support provided by trained clinicians during an early, routine, preventive visit: a prospective, randomized, open trial of 226 mother-infant pairs. Pediatrics, 115, e139–e146.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Laisiriruangrai, P., Wiriyasirivaj, B., Phaloprakarn, C., & Manusirivithaya, S. (2008). Prevalence of exclusive breastfeeding at 3, 4 and 6 months in Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Medical College and Vajira Hospital. Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, 91, 962–967.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lee, Y.S., Kek, B.L.K., Poh, L.K.S., Vaithinathan, R., Saw, S.M., & Loke, K.Y. (2006b). Characterisation of metabolic consequences in severely obese children. Paediatric endocrinology: looking into the future (pp. 92). Bangkok: Asia Pacific Paediatric Endocrine Society 2006 (4th Biennial scientific meeting Asia Pacific Paediatric Endocrine Society 2006, 1–4 Nov 2006, Cliff Resort Hotel, Pattaya, Thailand).Google Scholar
- Lee, Y.S., Kek, B.L.K., Poh, L.K.S., Saw, S.M., & Loke, K.Y. (2008). Association of raised liver transaminases with physical inactivity, increased waist-hip ratio and other metabolic morbidities in severely obese children. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 47, 172–178.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Likitmaskul, S., Kiattisathavee, P., Chaichanwatanakul, K., Punnakanta, L., Angsusingha, K., & Tuchinda, C. (2003). Increasing prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Thai children and adolescents associated with increasing prevalence of obesity. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism, 16, 71–77.Google Scholar
- Meshizuka, T., & Nakanishi, M. (1972). A report on the results of the ICSPFT performance test applied to the people in Asian countries. In U. Simri (Ed.), Proceedings of the ACSPFT and the ICSPFT – 1972. Wingate Institute for Physical Education and Sport (pp. 7–23). Israel.Google Scholar
- Misra, A., Vikram, N.K., Arya, S., Pandey, R.M., Dhingra, V., Chatterjee, A., Dwivedi, M., Sharma, R., Luthra, K., Guleria, R., & Talwar, K.K. (2004). High prevalence of insulin resistance in postpubertal Asian Indian children is associated with adverse truncal body fat patterning, abdominal adiposity and excess body fat. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, 28, 1217–1226.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mosberg, H.O. (1989). 40 year follow up of overweight children. Lancet, ii, 491–493.Google Scholar
- Noble, S. (2001). Maternal employment and the initiation of breastfeeding. Acta Paediatrica, 90, 923–928.Google Scholar
- Roberts, E.A. (2002). Streatohepatitis in children. Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology, 16, 749–765.Google Scholar
- Sicree, R., Shaw, J.E., & Zimmet, P.Z. (2003). The global burden of diabetes, In D. Gan (Ed.), Diabetes atlas (pp. 15–71). Brussels: International Diabetes Federation.Google Scholar
- United Nations Development Program (2008). Human Development Report 2007/2008. New York (18 December 2008); http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics.
- United Nations Statistics Division (2005). Demographic Yearbook 2005. New York: Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, United Nations.Google Scholar
- WHO Expert Consultation (2004). Appropriate body mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet, 363, 157–163.Google Scholar
- WHO Fact Sheet EURO/13/05 (2005). The challenge of obesity in the WHO European Region. Geneva: World Health Organisation.Google Scholar
- WHO Fact Sheet No. 311 (2006). Obesity and overweight (Sept 2006). Geneva: World Health Organisation.Google Scholar
- WHO World Health Report (1998). Life in the 21st century: a vision for all (p. 132). Geneva: World Health Organisation.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (2001). The optimal duration of exclusive breastfeeding. Report of an Expert Consultation 28–30 March 2001. Geneva: WHO; http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/infantfeeding/WHO_NHD_01.09/en/print.html.
- World Health Organization (2007). WHO Statistical Information System. Geneva (February 6, 2009); http://www.who.int/whosis/en/index.html.