Fallopian Tube Recanalization
With infertility prevalence data ranging from 7% to 20% in the United States, reproductive assistance methods are an important medical concern [1, 2]. In working up the infertile couple, practitioners must exclude anatomic causes. When proper work-up and imaging reveal a proximal fallopian tube occlusion, recanalization is a reasonably straightforward and low-risk procedure that can be beneficial to these patients.
KeywordsFallopian Tube Ectopic Pregnancy Cervical Dilator Tubal Pregnancy Cervical Stenosis
- 1.National Survey of Family Growth: Infertility. Centers for Disease Control. Atlanta, GA. December 2002. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nsfg/abc_list_i.htm#infertility. Accessed July 15, 2010.
- 16.Wollcott R. Proximal tubal occlusion: a practical approach. Hum Reprod. 1996;11(9):1831–3.Google Scholar
- 17.Evaluating Infertility. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Washington, DC. November 2007. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp136.cfm. Accessed July 15, 2010.
- 18.Infertility. American Society of Reproductive Medicine. Birmingham, AL, January 2007. http://www.asrm.org. Accessed July 15, 2010.
- 19.Katz V. Chapter 3: Reproductive anatomy – clinical correlations. In: Katz V, Lobo R, Lentz G, Gershenson D, editors. Comprehensive gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby; 2007. p. 43–72.Google Scholar
- 20.Gray H. The female genital organs. In: Gray H, revised by Lewis W, editors. Anatomy of the human body. 20th ed. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger; 1918; Bartleby.com 2000. http://www.bartleby.com/107/265.html. Accessed August 8, 2010.
- 22.National Collaborating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health. Fertility: assessment and treatment for people with fertility problems. London: RCOG Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- 23.The Practice Committee for the American Society of Reproductive Medicine. Optimal evaluation of the infertile female. Fertil Steril. 2006;86(5 Suppl 1):S264–7.Google Scholar
- 24.Brant W. Genital tract: radiographic imaging and MR. In: Brant W, Helms C, editors. Fundamentals of diagnostic radiology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2007. p. 909–24.Google Scholar
- 25.ACOG. Practice bulletin no. 104: antibiotic prophylaxis for gynecologic procedures. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;113(5):1180–9.Google Scholar
- 32.Li QY, Zhou XL, Qin HP, Liu R. [Analysis of 1006 cases with selective salpingography and fallopian tube recanalization]. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi. 2004;39(2):80–2.Google Scholar