Virtual Colonoscopy: From Concept to Implementation
Virtual colonoscopy (VC, aka computed tomography [CT] colonography, or CTC) was introduced in 1994 as a minimally invasive screening technique for the detection of colorectal polyps and cancer . It is a CT examination of the colon, cleansed of stool and distended with gas, in which the images are interpreted on a workstation using two-dimensional (2D) and three-dimensional (3D) techniques. After early work by several academic groups, VC soon gained the public’s attention for its potential to be a minimally invasive colorectal screening option. This chapter provides an overview of its early development, challenges to gain insurance coverage, and key factors that will impact its broader implementation in the United States. Implementation in several other countries is discussed in Chapter 2.
KeywordsAmerican Cancer Society Virtual Colonoscopy Optical Colonoscopy American Gastroenterological Association Current Procedural Terminology Code
- 1.Vining DJ, Gelfand DW, Bechtold RE, et al. Technical feasibility of colon imaging with helical CT and virtual reality. Am J Roentgenol. 1994;162(suppl):104.Google Scholar
- 3.Balthazar EM, Megibow, AJ, Hulnick D, Naidich DP. Carcinoma of the colon: detection and preoperative staging by CT. AJR. 1988;150:301–306.Google Scholar
- 4.Coin JT, Coin CG. Nontoxic contrast agents for computed tomography. Paper presented at Contrast Media in Computed Tomography International Workshop, Berlin, 14–17 Jan 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.Vining DJ, Teigen EL, Stelts D, Vanderwerken B, Kpecky KK, Rex D. Experience with virtual colonoscopy in 20 patients. Radiology. 1995;197:514.Google Scholar
- 8.Royster AP, Fenlon HM, Clarke PD, Nunes DP, Ferrucci JT. CT colonoscopy of colorectal neoplasms: two-dimensional and three-dimensional virtual-reality techniques with colonoscopic correlation. Am J Roentgenol. 1997;169:1237–1242Google Scholar
- 9.Dachman AH, Kuniyoshi JK, Boyle CM, Samara Y, Hoffmann KR, Rubin DT, Hanan I. CT colography with 3D problem solving for detection of colonic polyps. AJR. 1998; 171:989–995.Google Scholar
- 17.Katie’s virtual colonoscopy 2002. Today show [website] http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3079461 (Accessed 17 Aug 2010).
- 18.Ferrucci JT. Caldwell Lecture: Colon cancer screening with virtual colonoscopy: promise, polyps, politics. Am J Roentgenol. 2001;177:975–988.Google Scholar
- 23.American College of Radiology. ACR practice guideline for the performance of computed tomography (CT) colonography in adults. http://www.acr.org/SecondaryMainMenuCategories/quality_safety/guidelines/dx/gastro/ct_colonography.aspx (Accessed 16 Apr 2010).
- 25.Levin B, Lieberman DA, McFarland B, et al. Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin. 2008;58:130–160.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for colorectal cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2008;149:627–637.Google Scholar
- 27.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Decision memo for screening computed tomography colonography (CTC) for colorectal cancer. http://www.cms.gov/mcd/viewdecisionmemo.asp?id=220 (Accessed 16 Apr 2010).
- 28.Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Technology Evaluation Center. CT colonography for colon cancer screening. http://www.bcbs.com/blueresources/tec/vols/24/ct-colonography-virtual.html (Accessed 16 Apr 2010).
- 29.Cigna medical coverage policy: colorectal cancer screening and surveillance. http://www.cigna.com/customer_care/healthcare_professional/coverage_positions/medical/mm_0083_coveragepositioncriteria_virtual_colonoscopy.pdf (Accessed 16 Apr 2010).
- 30.United Healthcare. Computed tomographic colonography. https://www.unitedhealthcareonline.com/ccmcontent/ProviderII/UHC/en-US/Assets/ProviderStaticFiles/ProviderStaticFilesPdf/Tools%20and%20Resources/Policies%20and%20Protocols/Medical%20Policies/Medical%20Policies/Computed_Tomographic_Colonography.pdf (Accessed 16 Apr 2010).
- 31.Knechtges PM, McFarland BG, Keysor KJ, Duszak R, Barish MA, Carlos RC, 2007. National and local trends in CT colonography reimbursement: past, present and future. J Am Coll Radiol. 776–779.Google Scholar
- 32.Kuhlman J. The president’s first periodic physical exam as president [memo to R. Gibbs]. The U.S. White House. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/potus_med_exam_feb2010.pdf (Accessed 17 Aug 2010).