The goals of this book are to show how control systems can be successfully applied to applications in micro- and nanosystems, to explore the wide variety of applications where control can have a significant impact at the micro- and nanoscale, and to identify the greatest challenges in this new field. This chapter briefly describes the breadth of this field and reviews the subjects covered within.
KeywordsSmall Length Scale Nanoscale System Nanomechanical Resonator Nanoscale Research Linear Feedback Controller
- 2.A. Abramovici and J. Chapsky. Feedback control systems: A fast-track guide for scientists and engineerings, Kluwer, Norwell, MA, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.J.C. Doyle, B.A. Francis, and A.R. Tannenbaum. Feedback control theory, Macmillan, New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.W.S. Trimmer (editor). Micromechanics and MEMS: Classic and seminal papers to 1990, IEEE Press, New York, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Maluf. An introduction to microelectromechanical systems engineering, Artech House, Boston, MA, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Liu. Foundations of MEMS, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Feynman. There’s plenty of room at the bottom. Caltech engineering and science magazine, 23, 1960.Google Scholar
- 9.E.L. Wolf. Nanophysics and nanotechnology: An introduction to modern concepts in nanoscience, Wiley, Weinheim, Germany, 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Lindsay. Introduction to nanoscience, Oxford University Press, New York, 2009.Google Scholar
- 13.R.P. Feynman, R.B. Leighton, and M. Sands. The Feynman lectures on physics, Addison-Wesley, Boston, MA, 1964.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Sitti. NSF workshop on future directions in nano-scale systems, dynamics and control, final report, 2003.Google Scholar
- 15.B. Shapiro. NSF workshop on control and system integration of micro- and nano-scale systems, final report, 2004. Available: http://www.isr.umd.edu/CMN-NSFwkshp/.
- 17.R.M. Murray (editor). Control in an information rich world: Report of the panel on future directions in control, dynamics, and systems. SIAM, Philadelphia, PA. 2003. Available: http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~murray/cdspanel.