Experimental Tools for Reliability Analysis
In this chapter, several basic types of experimental tools for different situations of reliability analysis are introduced, together with the working principles. After that, tools being used to do accelerate testing are also presented.
Optical microscopy (OM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersive X-ray (EDX), scanning acoustic microscopy (SAM), and moiré interferometry are used to measure the structure and geometry of the testing sample. Besides, low-cycle fatigue, shear, humidity, temperature, thermal shock, and thermal cycling tests could be done with the help of special types of machines.
KeywordsSolder Joint Shear Test Thermal Shock Fringe Pattern Solder Ball
- 1.R. Tummala, Fundamentals of Microsystem Packaging, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Han, “Recent Advancements of Moiré and Microscopic Moiré Interferometry for thermal Deformation Analyses of Microelectronics Devices”, Experimental Mechanics, 38(4), 1998, 278–288.Google Scholar
- 5.J. W. Joo, K. W. Oh, S. M. Cho, B. Han, “Thermo-Mechanical and Flexural Behavior of WB-PBGA Package Using Moiré Interferometry”, Proceedings of 3rd International Symposium on Electronic Materials and Packaging, Cheju Island, Korea, 2001, 421–427.Google Scholar
- 6.J. S. Zhu, D. Q. Zou, F. L. Dai, S. Liu, “High Temperature Deformation of High Density Interconnects and Packages by Moiré Interferometry/FEM Hybrid Method”, Proceedings of 19th IEEE/CPMT International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Symposium, Austin, TX, USA, 1996, 75–83.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Liu, J. J. Wang, D. Q. Zou, X. Y. He, Z. F. Qian, “Resolving Displacement Field of Solder Ball in Flip-Chip Package by Both Phase Shifting Moiré Interferometry and FEM modelling”, Proceedings of 48th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), Seattle, WA, USA, 1998, 1345–1353.Google Scholar
- 8.E. A. Stout, N. R. Sottos, A. F. Skipor, “Mechanical Characterization of Plastic Ball Grid Array Package Flexure Using Moiré Interferometry”, IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, 32(4), 2000, 637–645.Google Scholar
- 9.X. Q. Shi, Z. P. Wang, “In-Situ Moiré Interferometry Technique and Its Applications to Microelectronic Packages”, Proceedings of 52nd Electronic Components and Technology Conference, San Diego, USA, 2002, 183–191.Google Scholar
- 11.T. K. Hwang, S. J. Ham, S. B. Lee, “A Study on the Thermal Deformation of ACF Assemblies Using Moiré Interferometry and FEM”, International Symposium on Electronic Materials & Packaging, Hong Kong, China, 2000, 358–363.Google Scholar