Design of Emerging Digital Services: A Taxonomy
There has been a gigantic shift from a product-based economy to one based on services, specifically digital services. From every indication it is likely to be more than a passing fad and the changes these emerging digital services represent will continue to transform commerce and have yet to reach market saturation. Digital services are being designed for and offered to users, yet very little is known about the design process that goes behind these developments. Is there a science behind designing digital services? By examining 13 leading digital services, we have developed a design taxonomy to be able to classify and contrast digital services. What emerged in the taxonomy were two broad dimensions: a set of fundamental design objectives and a set of fundamental service provider objectives. This chapter concludes with an application of the proposed taxonomy to three leading digital services. We hope that the proposed taxonomy will be useful in understanding the science behind the design of digital services.
KeywordsService Provider Service User Social Networking Site Business Objective Revenue Sharing
- Alexa Internet, I. (2007) The Web Information Company. Retrieved December 17, 2007.Google Scholar
- Apple.com (2007, July 31) iTunes store tops three billion songs. Retrieved November 27, 2007, from http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/07/31itunes.html.
- Bajaj, A., D. Batra et al. (2005) Systems analysis and design: should we be researching what we teach? Communications of AIS 15, pp. 478–493.Google Scholar
- Boztepe, S. (2007) User value: competing theories and models. International Journal of Design 1 (2), pp. 55–63.Google Scholar
- Bricklin, D. (2007) Why didn't we patent the spreadsheet? Were we stupid? Retrieved November 2, 2007, from http://www.bricklin.com/patenting.htm.
- Cockburn, I. (2007) Assessing the value of a patent: things to bear in mind. Retrieved October 30, 2007, from http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/documents/valuing_patents.htm.
- Craigslist.org (2007) Craigslist fact sheet. Retrieved December 20, 2007, from http://www.craigslist.org/about/factsheet.html.
- Fast Company Staff (2007) Facebook by the numbers. Retrieved December 20, 2007, from http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/115/open_features-hacker-dropout-ceo-facebook-numbers.html.
- Hagel, J. and M. Singer (1999) Net Worth, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- Hevner, A. R., S. T. March et al. (2004) Design science in information systems research. MIS Quarterly 28 (1), pp. 75–105.Google Scholar
- Kotler, P. and A. Gary (2007) Principles of Marketing, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.Google Scholar
- Liddle, D. (2007) Designing Interactions, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Lyytinen, K., Y. Youngjin, U. Varshney, M. S. Ackerman, G. Davis, M. Avital, D. Robey, S. Sawyer, and C. Sorensen (2004) Surfing the next wave: design and implementation challenges of ubiquitous computing environments. Communications of the Association for Information Systems 13 (Volume 14, 2004), pp. 697–716.Google Scholar
- McKelvey, B. (1982) Organizational Systematics: Taxonomy, Evolution, Classification, University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA.Google Scholar
- Moggridge, B. (2007) Designing Interactions, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- News Corporation (2007, July 12) MySpace outperforms all other social networking sites. Retrieved November 12, 2007, from http://www.newscorp.com/news/news_345.html.
- Plowman, T. (2003) Ethnography and Critical Design Practice, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Rajala R, J. Nissiläa, and M. Westerlund (2007) Revenue models in the open source software business, in St. Amant K. and B. Still (eds.), Handbook of Research on Open Source Software: Technological, Economic, and Social Perspectives, IGI Global, Hershey, PA, pp. 541–554.Google Scholar
- Salesforce.com (2007) Customer support: ensuring CRM success. Retrieved December 2007, from http://www.salesforce.com/services-training/customer-support/.
- Salesforce.com (2007, September 17) Salesforce.com Dreamforce 2007: financial review. Retrieved November 13, 2007, from http://www.salesforce.com/assets/pdf/investors/Dreamforce_CFO_FINAL.pdf.
- Salesforce.com (2007) Salesforce.com enhances enterprise functionality across all applications. Retrieved December 26, 2007, from http://www.salesforce.com/company/news-press/press-releases/2003/02/030210-2.jsp.
- Secondlife.com (2007) Second life: economic statistics. Retrieved December 20, 2007, from http://secondlife.com/whatis/economy_stats.php.
- Snow, B. (2007) GigaOM top 10 most popular MMOs. Retrieved December 20, 2007, from http://gigaom.com/2007/06/13/top-ten-most-popular-mmos/
- Sobel, J. (2007, December 21) The Facebook blog: keeping up. Retrieved December 26, 2007, from http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=7899307130.
- Stokes, D. (1997) Pasteurs Quadrant: Basic Science and Technological Innovation, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Tow, R. (2003) Strategy, Tactics, and Heuristics for Research, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Varian, H. R. (1995) Pricing Information Goods, University of Michigan.Google Scholar
- Walls, J. G., G. R. Widmeyer et al. (1992) Building an information system design theory for vigilant EIS. Information Systems Research 3 (1), pp. 36–59.Google Scholar
- Weightman, D. a. M., Deana (2003) People are Doing it for Themselves, Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces, ACM, Pittsburgh, PA.Google Scholar
- Winograd, T. (1996) Bringing Design to Software, ACM Press, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Yadav, S. (2006) Facebook – The complete biography. Retrieved December 20, 2007, from http://mashable.com/2006/08/25/facebook-profile/