A Role for Complement in Glaucoma?
Chronic open angle glaucoma is a degenerative optic neuropathy that can lead to blindness. We have shown that one of the major genes with altered expression in the glaucomatous retina is complement component C1q in both animal models of the disease as well as in humans. These observations together with evidence of upregulation of other complement components within the retina suggest a role for complement in the pathogenesis of this disease. We review the current evidence that supports such a role and discuss possible mechanisms through which complement may act. A thorough understanding of these mechanisms is important in allowing us to rationally design new therapeutic approaches.
KeywordsIntraocular Pressure Retinal Ganglion Cell Aqueous Humor Optic Neuropathy Optic Nerve Head
- Danias J, Lee KC, Zamora MF, Chen B, Shen F, Filippopoulos T, Su Y, Goldblum D, Podos SM, Mittag T (2003) Quantitative analysis of retinal ganglion cell (RGC) loss in aging DBA/2NNia glaucomatous mice: comparison with RGC loss in aging C57/BL6 mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44(12):5151–5162PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gordon MO, Beiser JA, Brandt JD, Heuer DK, Higginbotham EJ, Johnson CA, Keltner JL, Miller JP, Parrish RK II, Wilson MR, Kass MA (2002) The Ocular Hypertension Treatment Study: baseline factors that predict the onset of primary open-angle glaucoma. Arch Ophthalmol 120(6):714–720, discussion 829–830PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pasinetti GM, Tocco G, Sakhi S, Musleh WD, DeSimoni MG, Mascarucci P, Schreiber S, Baudry M, Finch CE (1996) Hereditary deficiencies in complement C5 are associated with intensified neurodegenerative responses that implicate new roles for the C-system in neuronal and astrocytic functions. Neurobiol Dis 3(3):197–204PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stevens B, Allen NJ, Vazquez LE, Howell GR, Christopherson KS, Nouri N, Micheva KD, Mehalow AK, Huberman AD, Stafford B, Sher A, Litke AM, Lambris JD, Smith SJ, John SW, Barres BA (2007) The classical complement cascade mediates CNS synapse elimination. Cell 131(6):1164–1178PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang H, Downs JC, Girkin C, Sakata L, Bellezza A, Thompson H, Burgoyne CF (2007b) 3-D histomorphometry of the normal and early glaucomatous monkey optic nerve head: lamina cribrosa and peripapillary scleral position and thickness. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48(10):4597–4607PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar