About Your Family and Community
This will not be the longest chapter in the book, but for a few readers it will be the most meaningful, especially the thoughts about the doctor’s family. Your family can cause you more sadness than all the no-show, heartsink and difficult patients you will encounter in a lifetime. But there are two sides to the coin. Your family can also bring more joy than making a brilliant diagnosis, having a paper published in your favorite medical journal, or receiving a national award. Do you doubt me? Just ask any new parent or grandparent.
KeywordsFamily Time Life Partner National Award High School Sport Personal Burnout
- 1.Life coach for doctors. Available at: http://www.invinciblemd.com/blog/2006/11/doctors-wife.html/ Accessed December 2, 2007.
- 2.Swinton AW. I Married a Doctor. 2nd ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Edwards Brothers Inc.; 1965:4.Google Scholar
- 3.Meyers MF. Medical marriages and other intimate relationships. Med J Aust. 2004;181(7):392-394.Google Scholar
- 5.Taylor AD, Taylor RB, Taylor DM, Taylor SJ. Marriage, medicine, and the medical family. In: Callan JP, ed. The Physician: A Professional under Stress. Norwalk, CT: Appleton-Century-Crofts; 1983:5-27.Google Scholar
- 6.SotileWM, Sotile MA. Success in medical marriage. Available at: Sotile.com/tips_success.htm. Accessed December 2, 2007.Google Scholar
- 9.Chen FM, Rhodes LA, Green LA. Family physicians’ personal experiences of their fathers’ health care. J Fam Pract. 2001;50(11):995-996.Google Scholar
- 11.Penfield W. The Torch. Boston: Little, Brown and Co; 1960:101.Google Scholar
- 12.Darlington DC. Genetics and Man. New York: Macmillan; 1964. Chapter 16.Google Scholar
- 13.Barth J. Quoted in Ladies Home Journal April, 1961.Google Scholar
- 14.Wisdom quotes/Bill Cosby. Available at: http://www.wisdomquotes.com/001351.html/ Accessed December 7, 2007.
- 15.Aphorisms by Rob Montone. Available at: http://www.jamesgeary.com/blog/?p=111/ Accessed December 7, 2007.